318 engine

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
W300FLATBED

318 engine

Post by W300FLATBED »

I have a W300, with a 318. I think that its poly 318, from what I understand the LA wasnt till 1967. My question is, I want to build an engine for my truck. Should I stick with the 318 poly, or upgrade to a 318 LA?

What is the best reference to get started in building an engine? I have the time, so I think I can do it.

Thanks, Im sure that I will be posting more later.

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

w300 there's plenty of goodies for both the poly & the LA 318's LA are just a little easyer to find goodies for & more afordable , What kinda of power & what are you going to be useing the truck for ? I have some paper work that tells how to make a 318 poly into a 402 stroker , it all depends on what you can aford & what your useing the truck for
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Shaun
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

318 poly

Post by Shaun »

I have a poly in my 65 that will do 15's in the 1/4 mile,but what if a new Saturn pulled up next to me and smoked me? :pale The Saturn is one of the slowest new cars now and it does 15's!
I am going to sell my poly(or part it out)when my 440 project is completed. I have to be able to burn those little weedeater cars :moom :lol: .
If you want to build that poly,start with a stroker crank-at least 3.58(a 360 stroke). You can use a 360 crank,but you have to have the mains turned down to(what is it?)2.5 from 2.625-the rod journals are the same.But you might as well go bigger yet-a 4 in stroke! Then over bore it,good pistons,good cam(Racer Brown is what I have-they have new ones,so does Chris Nielson and Schnieder-talk to Gary Pavlovich at glpavlovich@cox.net-he's the local poly guru).Then put a stock 4bbl mani on it,or a Weiand(that's your choices almost,unless you can find a three-duece(P-600)Edelbrock. You can make 400 hp with a poly,if you want to really pay for it.Not me though,I'll start big this time. Shaun

W300FLATBED

Engine

Post by W300FLATBED »

Thanks guys. I am not looking to make my truck into a hot rod. The engine I have now is failing, burning oil, and has a coolant leak. I want to build a replacement engine similar, so I dont have to change mcuh on the tranny. The old engine I may tweak a bit. This is a long term project. I just want to do it, just to say I can.

So, with all that,
Will either a LA or Poly bolt up to my tranny?

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Yes on the trannie , a good Rv cam will do just fine for a good driver & will help out on the working end as well :Thumbsup
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE