Torque converter replacement with more HP?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
mojojo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Torque converter replacement with more HP?

Post by mojojo »

Hello,

Trying to finalize my shopping list to rebuild my 318 Poly with 727A auto transmission (1966). I think I gave some details on what I am getting in a posting on headers (that's an other story... :banghead ) but here is the list and my magic number would be around 300HP. I just want to get a little quicker to the icecream stand ...

- Engine rebuild (pistons are still a big question..)
- Weiand intake 7503 (like I had choice ...!)
- Edelbroke 600 CFM carb
- Cam 266deg .509 (from camcraft)
- Mopar electronic ignition
- Already have dual exhaust, looking at headers

Here is the question: Do I need to replace the torque converter with one that has higher stall or not necessary?

Any advise before I drop the :2cents for parts?

I just posted some pictures of the truck in the picture gallery if anybody is interested.

Tanks for the info.
Mojojo
D-100 1966

sandiapete
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

converter

Post by sandiapete »

Mojojo,
You want to match the intake, cam, compression, and diff. ratio. Cam specs sound like 3,200-6,700. You will need at a minimal 3,000 stall converter. Do you have 3.55 or better gears?, The cam I have in my 340 is a Solid Comp Cam 288/288 Duration 550/550 Lift with a .10 centerline, Roller Lifters, and 1.5 Roller rockers. I am also running a Mopar Performance Single Plane intake, 10.1 pistons, Manley H beam connecting rods and Stage V Cast Heads. I have an A Body 83/4 with a 3.91 Ring and Pinion gear set. You have to match the RPM band and not just pick parts. It sounds like you will have a BAD @#% truck when your done .
Last edited by sandiapete on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SANDIAPETE
66 D100
340 ROLLER
ALBUQUERQUE
NEW MEXICO

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

MOJO YES WITH YOUR 509 CAM YOU WILL NEED TO UP GRADE YOUR TQ CONVERTER some where around the 3k mark should do , & like Sandia pete asked what rear gears are you running?
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton
State: OK

Post by JJ »

Those are some odd specs for a cam but I really don't know that much about makes a poly run so it might be OK. With only 266 duration you'll do fine with 22-2500 stall. Mopar performance makes a good convertor for about 200.00 from Mancini just make sure it will fit the transmission as the earlier trannys had some spline differences.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in one hand,cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"what a ride&quot

mojojo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mojojo »

Thanks for the info. Since the parts selection is somewhat limited for my Poly and if I understand right, the main parameters I can play with are the cam and the compression ratio. I guess I could get more technical and start changing the crank, valves, etc. but that's too complicated for my limited knowledge and budget. I am going to get more info from Bill at Mopar Mecca on what is available for compression ratio (I think my local part source has 7.1 iron cast pistons and that's it).

The plate on my truck says RR axe 3.55 - RA 36 (let's assume that's correct).

Tommorow I will get the exact specs for the cam just to make sure I am not talking out of my :moom with those numbers. Thanks again guys. Your point of view really helps me making up my mind and also double-checking the info I am getting here and there. Working with the Poly makes it little more challenging for the rookie that I am but the result should be that more satisfaying.

Joel
Mojojo
D-100 1966