Correct Fluid for a 727

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Davey
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Correct Fluid for a 727

Post by Davey »

What is the correct fluid to use when servicing a 727 automatic tranny? Davey :usa

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

Dexron 3 or III. Jim

73_Adventurer_Sport
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lindale, Texas

Post by 73_Adventurer_Sport »

My son once bought a car with a slugggish, eratic shifting 727. We were sure it needed a rebuild, so the price was right. When we checked, we discovered the transmission filled with motor oil. After a good flushing, filter change and a fresh supply of Dexron II, it worked fine.

The old TorqueFlites are wonderful, forgiving transmissions.

mechaniclese

Post by mechaniclese »

Through the 60's and early 70's 727's took Type F 70's through mid 80's they took Dextron 2 mid 80's on they take ATF +3. I run ATF +3 in my 67 727,works great. ATF +3 is basically a blend of the best components of Type F and Dextron

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by JimE »

mechaniclese wrote:Through the 60's and early 70's 727's took Type F 70's through mid 80's they took Dextron 2 mid 80's on they take ATF +3. I run ATF +3 in my 67 727,works great. ATF +3 is basically a blend of the best components of Type F and Dextron
I have heard of a few people that have ran typr F in their 727s to increase the shift points of the tranny. I was always afraid of screwing something up, funny how the type F will work in a mopar, try putting dexron in a Ferd :joker . Jim

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

Any of the Dexron's work just fine. I've heard of people using type F but the friction enhansers in type F will wast your trans. Only good for racing and rebuilding you trany often.
Dont let the number (I, II, III) and mercon thing confuse you. Ford went to the newer dexron with everyone else but with a mercon additive. It's compatable with all Dexron fluids and is ok to use in any Torquflight or hydromatic trans. Make sure you use the Mopar trans fluid in any of the newer Mopar transmissions or there will be trouble with your friction material.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by JimE »

Hoss wrote:Any of the Dexron's work just fine. I've heard of people using type F but the friction enhansers in type F will wast your trans. Only good for racing and rebuilding you trany often.
Dont let the number (I, II, III) and mercon thing confuse you. Ford went to the newer dexron with everyone else but with a mercon additive. It's compatable with all Dexron fluids and is ok to use in any Torquflight or hydromatic trans. Make sure you use the Mopar trans fluid in any of the newer Mopar transmissions or there will be trouble with your friction material.
Ken
Only the dealer touches the tranny on my 03 Ram. Jim

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

Good choice on that. Make sure they keep an eye on those transmission cooler line conections they have a tendency to come apart.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed