tailshaft on 727LF

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
greenD200machine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

tailshaft on 727LF

Post by greenD200machine »

I just noticed on the 67 d200 I bought that the tailshaft on the 727 trans is leaking at the seal and has moderate up and down play. i am sure it is rebuildable but my question is if I unbolt this from the tranmission will the internal parts of the tranny stay in place. Any help is appreciated.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

tailshaft

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Should be the drive shaft slides into the 727, you'll have to unbolt at the rear end slide about 1" into the transmission and the pull the driveshaft down and back and she'll slide off the transshaft, be careful the driveshaft is heavier than it looks try and keep it from droping on the ground for they are balanced.
The leak your seeing is coming from the end of the transmission?

greenD200machine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by greenD200machine »

Yes, the leak is at the rear of the tranny tailshaft. I assume that the bearings or the shaft in the tailshaft are worn to cause so much play. the tailshaft bolts on the back of the tranny. Have you had any experience removing them? does it easily come off the back of the tranny or is it more 1 unit?
I am concerned if I remove it from the tranny that it will be a complicated procedure to reinstall it. Or maybe it just splines to another shaft in the tranny?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

The tailshaft housing can be removed with the tranny in the truck.It involves a series of sequences ,including driveshaft removeal,sticking the tranny in low,removeing the speedo gear,removeing the rubber tranny mount,removeing the housing bolts,prying open a snap ring ,pulling back housing,disconecting the park lock,....yada,yada,yada.....It can be done,but get a service manual that covers the procedure.There is a bushing in the rear,and a bearing in the front that can be replaced,along with the seal,of course.Good luck. :Thumbsup