Need help choosing rear axle for 63 D200-can't get drums

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Big_G
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Need help choosing rear axle for 63 D200-can't get drums

Post by Big_G »

Hi Sweptliners!
I began redoing the brakes on my 63 D200 crew cab. Started with the rears. After taking off the drum, I noticed that there were parts inside for a parking brake. Knowing that the parking brake was originally (and still is, although I can't seem to adjust it worth a darn-but that is another story) on the tranny shaft, I knew that a p.o. must have replaced the rear axle somewhere along the way. So, I took the hub and drum to an auto parts store/machine shop for checking/identifying. The rear seal part number is 410825, which translates to a 59-68 1 ton axle. The only tag I see on the axle says 41-10 and below that 4 10. I don't know the manufacturer, but the parts guy said it was a 4.1 Spicer 60. As some of you might have surmised, I cannot find replacement drums. After checking the drums out, they are way past safe useability on surface left, and all of the studs are loose as well. I am not an expert on rear axles. Since I am probably not going to find drums anywhere, I need to change rear ends. Which is a shame, since there is nothing wrong with the existing axle.

Question: If I do need to replace the rear axle (anyone have 2 drums that are usable?), what should I look for to replace it with? What year/axle does everyone suggest I look for? I have a 318 with a 4 speed, 2 wheel drive, don't plan on towing much of anything, will haul things sometimes, but nothing that is terribly heavy. I do fine on the freeway with the 4.1 ratio, so it is ok to have that again. It is kind of cool to think I have this beefy rear already in case I do want to work Sherman again.

Thanks for your help!

Wayne in Vail, AZ
63 Dodge D200, 56 Dodge 4 door, among a couple of others.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Big_G, nice to see a fellow Tucson guy....I'm heading the the junkyard today....I'll see what's out there...I'll look for the drums if not the whole axle...

andrew
1963 Crewcab Cummins
1961 Dodge D100
1964 Dodge Polara