I should fix my head (s)?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
milestrap
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

I should fix my head (s)?

Post by milestrap »

Well, the ones on my truck anyways. :)

motor = 383 (built) so it should have hardened seats already.

Recently I did a dry compression check and #5 showed 85psi.. the rest were within 120 - 160
It's been sputtering and backfiring (carb and exhaust - depending on where the timing is set..)

I think it's a burnt exhaust valve on 5 - any takers on that one?
It burns some oil also so I probably need new seals too.

My question is can I just pull that one side and fix the problem or should I pull both?

I need to pull them sunday and be on the road mid late in the week..
What should I do????
Also does anybody know a good fast shop in Phx (east side)

thanks.. and if you celebrate -- happy holidays.

mechaniclese

Post by mechaniclese »

If your going to do one you might as well do both because it's been my experiance that the minute you get it put back together something will go wrong on the otherside.Besides what can it hurt to have 2 fresh heads instead of one? I guess it breaks down to can you afford to do them both or only one? I am sure someone will disagree with me.Thats just my :2cents
As to finding a shop in Phoenix I can't help you out. I spent a winter there a few years back but I never needed any machine work done. Good luck

383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 383mrollg »

if your talkin about phoenix AZ then i would go to b&b machining on broadway and mesa drive, they rebuilt my heads fully in 3 days, 400 bucks WHICH included all new valves,seats, etc... good juck!
1970 D100, Built 383,727,3.91 SureGrip.

mudbug

burnt valves.

Post by mudbug »

if your that far into it pull both heads and have them done. it aint worth doing just one side, the first thing that will happen is you will be disappointed and do it all over again. been there and done that more than once.
the cost of the second set of gaskets will be more than doing the other head, plus the labor.
hope it works out for you and happy new year, john.