I've gotta problem

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

I've gotta problem

Post by cudajimmy »

I think it's a broken valve spring, but listen up and tell me what you all think.

Truck: 1967 D100

Engine: 318 with warmed over 360 heads, cam, Edlebrock intake/carb, electronic ignition by 4secondsflat.

Problem: At idle, truck has a dead miss. Put it in drive, take off, and every once in awhile, it'll pop a few times till the rpm's get up. Take off a little harder, it does okay until it shifts, then the motor cuts out. If you let off the gas, and get back into it easy, it'll come up okay. At highway speed, it seems fine unless you do something to disrupt it. Then it starts missing again.

Well?
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

mechaniclese

Post by mechaniclese »

Could be a flat cam lob. I had a 79 d 150 with a 360 that had a miss like that pull it off an idle it smoothed some, get into and it would pop back through the carb. my :2cents

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudajimmy »

mechaniclese wrote:Could be a flat cam lob. I had a 79 d 150 with a 360 that had a miss like that pull it off an idle it smoothed some, get into and it would pop back through the carb. my :2cents

I thought about that, but it'll pick the miss back up at higher rpms. :thinking
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto

Hemikuda71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oklahoma City

Post by Hemikuda71 »

Put a POLY in it!

R/T

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Re: I've gotta problem

Post by CSS-Registry »

cudajimmy wrote:I think it's a broken valve spring, but listen up and tell me what you all think.

Truck: 1967 D100

Engine: 318 with warmed over 360 heads, cam, Edlebrock intake/carb, electronic ignition by 4secondsflat.

Problem: At idle, truck has a dead miss. Put it in drive, take off, and every once in awhile, it'll pop a few times till the rpm's get up. Take off a little harder, it does okay until it shifts, then the motor cuts out. If you let off the gas, and get back into it easy, it'll come up okay. At highway speed, it seems fine unless you do something to disrupt it. Then it starts missing again.

Well?
sounds electrical - maybe coil or ignition module to me....

i had a 340 valiant do the same thing - it was coil on it.

:2cents
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: I've gotta problem

Post by cudajimmy »

CSS-Registry wrote:
sounds electrical - maybe coil or ignition module to me....

i had a 340 valiant do the same thing - it was coil on it.

:2cents
:goodpost Now that you mention it, I DID have the voltage regulator stick open and blow up my ballast resistor right before this started.
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto

mechaniclese

Post by mechaniclese »

ok one more thought. Could it be losing oil pressure in one of the lifters? I had a friend that happened to on a 75 318. At idle it would miss pull it up it ran fine. get into it it cut out. Turned out to have a pin hole in the bottom of the lifter. At an idle the oil pressure wasn't enough to pressurize the lifter all the way. As the speed increased the oil pressure came up and it would work fine for a bit but the turning of the cam slowly leached the oil out of the lifter until it collapsed. I don't think it had the best oil pressure. It's a stretch I know put I have seen it happen :2cents

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton

Post by JJ »

O.K Jimmy this is going to sound sort of simple but.....change the spark plugs and see what happens and look at the distributor cap and rotor while you are at it, remember that is a very high energy ignition system (hint this is from experiance).
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in one hand,cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"what a ride&quot

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

hint

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

similiar to what happened to the 83 D150 w/318 I replaced the ballist resistor still same, replaced the ECU, still the same, replaced the magnetic pickup, and it runs better than ever.

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudajimmy »

UPDATE:

I put my infra red thermometer on the headers, and all were about 495ish degrees EXCEPT number 5 cylinder. IT was 160 degrees. Pulled the valve cover off, and you can push the pushrod on the intake side down with your fingers. Like the lifter has NO pressure to it at all. Lifter is JUNK.

NOW....do I replace just one lifter, or should I replace ALL the lifters? I'm worried about making the cam go flat now.

ANYONE?!? :thinking
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto

HellBelly
Founder
Founder
City: Dallas
State: TX

Post by HellBelly »

I'd say all if you can afford it. Make sure that cam isn't rounded off yet.
Scott Blaylock (Founder/Admin)
http://www.Sweptline.ORG
http://www.SweptlineTruckRegistry.com

1965 Dodge SWB D100 (Utiline)
1968 Dodge LWB D100 (Sweptline)
1970 Dodge LWB D100 (Dude)

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudajimmy »

HellBellyD100 wrote:I'd say all if you can afford it. Make sure that cam isn't rounded off yet.
I'll look at that when I tear it down.
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

problem

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

I'd replace all lifters at same time so you don't have to go back and do another, and you can do it without tearing down to cam. :Thumbsup

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton

Post by JJ »

Pull the lifter and look at the bottom, if its not dished put a new one in and fire it up. So much for Comp Cam junk :pale .
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in one hand,cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"what a ride&quot