I have a hemi.

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Dub

I have a hemi.

Post by Dub »

I recently aquired a hemi engine, the guy did not know any thing about it except that it is complete and was running. how can I find out what size it is, and what it might be worth. i would appreciate any information.
Last edited by Dub on Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

fix it and put it in your truck :Thumbsup
as always and sometimes not,steve

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Somewhere on the block the displacement will be stamped on it.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Re: I have a hemi.

Post by CSS-Registry »

Dub wrote:I recently aquired a hemi engine, the guy did not know any thing about it except that it is complete and was running. how can I find out what size it is, and what it might be worth. i would appreciate any information.
where is the distributor located on the block - front or back?

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

Dub

Post by Dub »

Distributor is located in the back of the engine.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Everything you need to know to identify an early Hemi engine:

http://classichemi.com/index1.shtml
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

66Patrick nailed it; that site should help a LOT. The dist in the back cements it being an "old style" hemi; 331,354,392. Best luck would have it being a 392. There are some problems getting mild hot-rod parts for them - but lots of crazy full race type stuff is still available due to them being used extensively as drag motors in the 60's. A nicely built 392 is a formidable beast in a Swepty and a thing of beauty to see.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central

Post by 66patrick »

It could be a Dodge or DeSoto Hemi, also. What's important to remember is that NO parts interchange between families. If you have a Dodge or DeSoto engine, the parts are going to be much more expensive than the Chrysler engines

Chrysler Hemi says "Chrysler Fire Power" on the valve covers; Dodge says "Dodge Red Ram", and the DeSoto says "DeSoto Firedome". If you have a complete engine, you know instantly which it is. All you have to do is refer to that table to find the year and displacement.

Another thing that's good is that info allows you to differ between a Hemi and a Poly block. You can put the Hemi pistons and heads onto the corresponding Poly block, but there is some work to it.

Notice Plymouth NEVER offered the old-style Hemi in any car. Ever. If you ever run across a '50s Plymouth with a Hemi in it, someone built the car...and it wasn't Chrysler!
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Dub

Thanks for the responses.

Post by Dub »

I appreciate the responses on this. i will check the numbers and find out what i have, then it may be for sale.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Hola

The De Soto's all had the spark plug cover stamped with the Division's logo. The Engine year is stamped on a pad all starting with an "S". Also the De Soto Division is the only Division that did not have a poly head for the lower end vehicles.

The Dodge may also have a clean valve cover since all Dealer installed Hemi Heads were done in this manner. If it is an OEM head the valve cover will be stamped. The eng yr will be stamped with a "D".

The Imperial 392 had I M P E R I A L stamped on the valve cover. The Industrial and truck eng is out there too.

And the whole era is of the MoPar small block engine family ( look at the distr or the 318 sized timing chain ).
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

moparalltheway

Post by moparalltheway »

If you will give me the engine i.d.# I will tell you what you have. Located on top of block on a flat pad next to the oil fill tube. Is the bellhousing cast to the block? 2 or 4 bbl or 2-4bbl? All dodges got there water threw the heads. Earl Chry. got water threw the intake then heads. Desotos used the early Chry. method. None of the parts from any of the three are interchangable! But you can use Early Hemi stuff on early poly's. Not 318. Early Dodge poly block Early Hemi Dodge Heads + push rods and head bolts. Hope this helps and don't confuse. Have any Early Hemi ?s please don't hesatate to ask me.

Hemikuda71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oklahoma City

Post by Hemikuda71 »

Pats right about Plymouth not offering a HEMI. But you can use the Dodge heads and pistons, push rods and valley cover to convert a Plymouth to a HEMI. The parts could be used to convert the Desoto and Dodge polys to HEMI as well.
R/T
'61 D-100 Utiline
'62 D-100 SWB
'64 D-200 LWB CSS 1 of 2 known 3/4 ton CSS's
'68 A-100 Pick Up (stolen)
'72 Challenger
'78 "Lil Red Express"
'97 Dakota Club Cab