Clutch pressure plate releasing uneven

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
66Stubbywagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Round Rock
State: TX

Clutch pressure plate releasing uneven

Post by 66Stubbywagon »

So my 66 power wagon has been sitting for a few months because of this extreme heat wave (110+) we have had in Texas. I have been driving my 85 power wagon since it has AC. Anyway I decided to drive it to breakfast on Saturday and all was well. About 3 miles from home I noticed the clutch feel changed and I couldn't shift. Symptoms of bad slave cylinder. I made it to the house and inspected the truck and didn't see any leaks and the slave cylinder was moving but the fluid was black. I decided to change slave cylinder and master cylinder to rule those out. I vacuum and pump bled them getting the bleeder to shoot up all the way through the engine bay and still the clutch felt bad. After having my son bump the starter to see all 3 release arms when he pressed in the clutch. It turns out one of them does not move. I have never see anything like this before. Clutch job was done about 9 years ago but has very low miles on it. has anyone had this issue before? Thanks Aaron

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Clutch pressure plate releasing uneven

Post by Wildergarten »

66Stubbywagon wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:16 am
I decided to change slave cylinder and master cylinder to rule those out. I vacuum and pump bled them getting the bleeder to shoot up all the way through the engine bay and still the clutch felt bad.
Use DOT-5 silicone brake fluid in a clutch. Water accumulation from the atmosphere in standard DOT-3 ethylene glycol will corrode the metals.
66Stubbywagon wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:16 am
After having my son bump the starter to see all 3 release arms when he pressed in the clutch. It turns out one of them does not move. I have never see anything like this before. Clutch job was done about 9 years ago but has very low miles on it. has anyone had this issue before?
I have; I had a broken lever arm. Sounds like you have a defective pressure plate; i.e., you need to replace the clutch.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

think one of the pivots froze
think if you remove the pressure plate ,you could free it up and lube it
but easier to just replace it

66Stubbywagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66Stubbywagon »

thanks for the response. i took it apart last night after work. that arm inside the pressure plate is suspect. im trying to find a replacement. it looks like HR clutches and Phoniex clutch are the only ones that have a 10 spline clutch kit. everyone else is showing the incorrect 23 spline.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

66Stubbywagon wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:27 am
thanks for the response. i took it apart last night after work. that arm inside the pressure plate is suspect. im trying to find a replacement. it looks like HR clutches and Phoniex clutch are the only ones that have a 10 spline clutch kit. everyone else is showing the incorrect 23 spline.
Try Valley Clutch in Los Angeles, and thanks for the heads up. I should probably procure a spare set.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

66Stubbywagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66Stubbywagon »

Wildergarten wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:40 am
66Stubbywagon wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:27 am
Try Valley Clutch in Los Angeles, and thanks for the heads up. I should probably procure a spare set.

Yea i was thinking the same thing. If they weren't so pricey i would buy another as well. I ended up going with HR. Turns out the hand written part number on the pressure plate was their part number. I spoke with Joe over there and he had a kit on the shelf. Total with return shipping label for the core was around $460 and he shipped it out same day. I should have the truck back on the road this weekend.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls

Post by 712edf »

I have never heard anything negative about HR & have used them myself. They seem to know our old stuff.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab