Slant six engine hoist mounting locations

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wooster
State: OH

Slant six engine hoist mounting locations

Post by drewvirgili »

Ok everyone…..I apologize ahead of time for my silly question here but can someone tell me where I should connect my chain for my engine hoist on my slant six? I tried the ports on the top of the head and I cannot for the life of me get the bell housing to lift high enough to clear the mounts. I tried searching and couldn’t find what I was looking for but I apologize if this was addressed elsewhere.

I am certain I am doing something dumb so any input would be appreciated!!! Thanks everybody!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Slant six engine hoist mounting locations

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

What year is the truck? Crossmember mounts or engine side mounts? Tranny still on the bell or off? Radiator out? Fan, pulleys, alternator, etc off? Cab tunnel cover off?

drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drewvirgili »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:36 pm
What year is the truck? Crossmember mounts or engine side mounts? Tranny still on the bell or off? Radiator out? Fan, pulleys, alternator, etc off? Cab tunnel cover off?
Sorry should have stated all that! It is a 1967 d100 with the a745 3 speed. Radiator out and fan and alternator off. Starter is out and transmission is out. So, I am attempting to lift just the motor and bell housing. I am getting hung up on the bell housing mounts no matter where I place my chains. All wires and linkages are disconnected. I can get one side of the bell housing to come off the mounts but not both and both motor mounts are cleared. Thank you!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I've pulled my 62 poly 318 many times with both bell and tranny still attached without issue, leaving the isolators attached to the crossmember. If you need more clearance, remove the isolators, one at a time if necessary.
(personal record time was out of the truck, sitting on the ground, 45 minutes after parking the truck under the gantry - using air tools, by myself)

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

drewvirgili wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:41 pm
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:36 pm
Sorry should have stated all that! It is a 1967 d100 with the a745 3 speed. Radiator out and fan and alternator off. Starter is out and transmission is out. So, I am attempting to lift just the motor and bell housing. I am getting hung up on the bell housing mounts no matter where I place my chains. All wires and linkages are disconnected. I can get one side of the bell housing to come off the mounts but not both and both motor mounts are cleared. Thank you!
If you just removed the nuts from the bellhousing cross member insulators, you'll remain hung up.
Try unbolting one of the insulators from the actual bellhousing cross member. :idea :2cents

John

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Also helps to have a load lever with a /6. I bought a cheat HF when I pulled the last/6. Craig

drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drewvirgili »

Thank you everyone! I managed to get it out tonight with a load leveler but I also had to remove the brace that attaches to the drivers side of the block and then to the motor mount. I had remove the nut and washer from the stud of the motor mount but didn't think/know that I also needed to remove the metal bracket that attaches to the block.

Once that was removed that allowed everything to come out nicely! Now on to cleaning up the engine bay and everything else. Then painting and finishing the assembly of the 318. I will hopefully have the 318 in and running by end of summer if all goes well. Thanks again for everyone's advice!

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

Hopefully you got the flywheel with the 318. They are not the same as the/6.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

drewvirgili
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by drewvirgili »

BigBlockTrucks wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:13 am
Hopefully you got the flywheel with the 318. They are not the same as the/6.
I have not yet......that's on the list of things to do next as well but I appreciate you making sure I was on it!! I am debating about swapping out my a745 for an nv3500 or something of the likes in the 5 speed variety. I'm not certain on that yet though.