318 kickdown linkage

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Treadler
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Camas
State: WA

318 kickdown linkage

Post by Treadler »

Hello, I have a new to me 67 D200 camper special. The 318 runs strong but the trans seemed to shift funny.

Looking under the hood, I find that the kickdown linkage is zip tied to a vacuum line rather than connected to the carb. It's clear that the Carter carb is a replacement as there is nowhere to attach the kickdown linkage to it.

The kickdown has the ball and socket type linkage rather than the slotted linkage from the later models. Is there a source for the correct linkage or measurements of where it should attach so I can make something that works?

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Re: 318 kickdown linkage

Post by my5thmopar »

Stop! Do not drive it until you fix it. The KD is needed to regulate the pressure. You will burn the transmission up. Post photo and well see if we can help you out. What do you mean by "funny". Craig

Treadler
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Treadler »

Right, I've gathered that much from the searching I've done through old threads. I still have a fair bit to go through before I'm comfortable driving it much, anyway. As for shifting funny, it shifts up very late and doesn't downshift when you mash in the pedal.

I'm still trying to figure out how to post the pictures. The file is to large to add as an attachment.

Treadler
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Treadler »

Carter carburator linkage
Carter carburator linkage

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver

Post by jeffc57 »

https://imageevent.com/jeffc/techstuff3
here is a link to my tech sec were there are instructions on adjusting kickdown on one of the photos and different apps

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

The later trucks that came equipped with the three piece kickdown linkage also had a cable connected throttle pedal, rather than the rod type I'm pretty sure your '67 has. I'm going to speculate the three piece kickdown linkage and the rod type throttle linkage will have interference issues. Your intake manifold would also need the casting bosses for the cable bracket/linkage pivot to bolt on to.

The factory service manuals typically have good illustrations of the throttle/kickdown linkage. It would be the best investment you could make in your truck. Quality reprints are available from https://www.faxonautoliterature.com/ and http://www.autobooksbishko.com/repair-manual.html
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

Treadler
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Treadler »

My factory service manual shows the same image as Jeff has in picture 16 of his tech document. Although the image in my reproduction manual isn't nearly as clear.

If I read that image correctly, my kickdown should be mounted below the pivot for the throttle linkage. Looks like it's roughly the same distance below the throttle pivot as the accelerator linkage is above the pivot.

So I'll need to make an arm to move my accelerator above the throttle pivot and add a stud to put my kickdown below the pivot. Did that sound about right? The kickdown linkage needs to move forward as the accelerator linkage moves back?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Treadler wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:33 am

So I'll need to make an arm to move my accelerator above the throttle pivot and add a stud to put my kickdown below the pivot. Did that sound about right? The kickdown linkage needs to move forward as the accelerator linkage moves back?
I can't say for certain on yours but on all the Mopar automatics I have owned the kickdown moved BACK/DOWN with the accelerator linkage. Also the little lever on the tranny goes back under acceleration.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab