np435 to 46rh swap

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
aqmet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Norcross
State: GA

np435 to 46rh swap

Post by aqmet »

I have searched the site for information on the 46rh transmission and found a number of postings almost exclusively swapping the 46RH for a 727.

I have a 1964 D100 Town Wagon with a 318 poly and a np435. Does anyone have in o experience this swap, or can direct me to a source of info.

Thanks
Mike
1964 D100 - Town Wagon 318 NP435
1964 D100 - Town Panel /6 A745

Conductorblg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Milwaukie
State: OR

Re: np435 to 46rh swap

Post by Conductorblg »

My post of last year (last posted on 10 Sept 22) is probably one of those you are referring to, although because converting to a big block meant I had to use an Ultra Bell anyway, I started out with the heavier duty RH47. I've been told that you can bolt LA transmissions right to an A motor. If that is true, you're home free bolting the RH46 to your poly 318 without custom bell housings or adaptors. If the transmission you chose has the drilled and tapped boss (3/8"-16) right at the end of the tail shaft like mine did (for a driveline vibration damper), my rear mount solution will work for you. The overdrive 46 or 47 transmissions will require a driveline 2 3/4" shorter than a 727. I also was able to use my stock linkage components where you'll likely go to a aftermarket shifter and TV linkage.

It is my understanding the trucks with manual transmissions use a bell housing that bolts to the crossmember stubs at the front leaf spring rear perches, whereas the automatic transmission trucks use a channel crossmember that bolts to these crossmember stubs and runs under the forward edge of the transmission oil pan, but just behind the torque convertor. I would recommend that once you remove the manual transmission bell housing you install a crossmember to those stubs. If you can't find a factory one (that needs the center dropped about 3" to clear the deeper sump of the overdrive), picking up a length of 2" X 4" tubing (which I initially bought) and fabricating one shouldn't be much more difficult than modifying a stock one.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: np435 to 46rh swap

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

They are not "stubs" on a manual trans truck. It is a solid crossmember riveted to the frame. For an auto trans the factory torched out the center of that crossmember and added the spanner below the trans. That's why they look like "stubs" in your truck. Without the spanner, the frame is seriously weakened w/o the crossmember as that is where the front springs attach.