727 transmission

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
KevinL
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Neshanic
State: NJ

727 transmission

Post by KevinL »

Hello everyone

I’ve hit some trouble with my 1967 dodge d200 with the 318 small block and 727 torqueflite auto transmission (hopefully I’ve gotten that correct). One of the transmission lines has blown and searching the web and many forums I can’t seem to find a solution for a different setup or something close to what my old ones used to be. I would like to go with a steel braided hose setup but have trouble finding out what sizes I need to fit onto the transmission as well as the radiator. Is that something that can be done? Or is there a transmission lines I can find that will be similar to the old ones? Any help would be appreciated as the poor girl has been sitting for a month now. Thank you all.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: 727 transmission

Post by martincom »

While there is a vendor or two that offers pre-formed fuel, brake & transmission lines, I don't know of anyone offering pre-formed lines for sweptlines. I've made my own several times, utilizing the old lines as a pattern. It isn't too bad of a task. It requires a tubing bender and an inverted flare tool. You'll want to purchase your tubing in a roll, not the straight lengths with flares and fittings pre-installed that the parts stores sell. I've found they are not pliable and as such, difficult to bend and will kink when attempting to make sharp, close bends. I use to source my tubing and fittings from Chrysler parts. They had great pricing on that type of item and the quality was always good. That being said, I'm still working on 20 years ago supplies. So I wouldn't know where to send you now. Maybe check Summit Racing or McMaster-Carr.

The weak link with sweptlines was the radiator connection. As frame component obstruct a direct steel line connection to the radiator, the last six inches or so are rubber hose. Be sure to utilize hose rated for transmission cooler application, not rubber fuel hose.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

KevinL wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:35 am
Hello everyone

I’ve hit some trouble with my 1967 dodge d200 with the 318 small block and 727 torqueflite auto transmission (hopefully I’ve gotten that correct). One of the transmission lines has blown and searching the web and many forums I can’t seem to find a solution for a different setup or something close to what my old ones used to be. I would like to go with a steel braided hose setup but have trouble finding out what sizes I need to fit onto the transmission as well as the radiator. Is that something that can be done? Or is there a transmission lines I can find that will be similar to the old ones? Any help would be appreciated as the poor girl has been sitting for a month now. Thank you all.
I think you will find its easy to make steel lines or source lines for a 72 to late 80's truck with the 727 . They will work with maybe a tweak here or there.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

if your not worried about correct
i use nickel copper lines on my repairs
in the north east the lines rot out and the ni/co lines are very easy to bend and will last 3x steel
if your trying to build a restoration then i copy the old lines in steel