Exhaust help

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

Exhaust help

Post by fireguyfire »

I’m just putting the finishing touches on my 1970 1/2 ton, slant 6 truck and am about ready to fire it up after a full restoration.
For the sake of ease as I have several other projects on the go, I ordered an exhaust for my truck from Waldrons out of the US which I was told does great stock exhausts.
I went to install the exhaust tonight, and the way the exhaust was made it wants to turn out and dump the exhaust out on the drivers side, right in the middle of my rear tire.
Obviously I’m going to need to do some tweaking on it as that is no good; they took all of the information on my truck including engine size, year, model, transmission, etc etc so I’m surprised it’s wrong.
Can someone help me out by posting a few photos of what the stock routing would be for a single exhaust slant 6 truck?
Thanks in advance!

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Re: Exhaust help

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

By chance or maybe mistake, did you get an exhaust for a short bed truck?
Is your truck a long bed?
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

My truck is a long bed, which is one of the questions they asked me but I’m guessing the same thing, the exhaust is for a short bed. Pretty easy to add a pipe for length as the exhaust system is in several flanged pieces for shipping.
Which is why it would be great to see where the muffler should go, and how the tailpipe should route from the muffler back. I’m in Canada and it would not be financially worth it to ship the exhaust back so I’ll modify what I have; the part from the manifold to the rear of the cab fits perfectly.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

I wish I could help further but my long bed truck hasn’t seen it’s original exhaust since probably before I was born.
Others here can likely help. The factory service manual should have pictures.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

I didn’t see an obvious diagram in the FSM, but I’ll go back and look.
The exhaust system came with a nice tubular style stock muffler which is nice.
The good news is that I can plumb from the manifold to the muffler for now, and then I can start the engine and drive the truck as the box is not back on it yet, and I can sort out from the muffler back later.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

If the error was at Waldron's end, I'd think they would make it right.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

So in my discussion with Waldron’s they are saying that because my truck is a Canadian made 1970 dodge 1/2 ton, vs a US made truck, that the exhausts are different.
Does anyone know if that is true? I thought there is very little difference between a truck made in Ontario, vs one made across the water in Detroit.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

On the sweptline.org web page, there is a nearly complete scanned copy of the 1963 - 1968 Dodge Truck factory parts manual. You can determine if there are difference there.

http://www.sweptline.org/1963_1968_Cat11.html

Below is an excerpt from the '69-'70 Service Manual. It doesn't depict anything unique for a Canada truck. The difference in wheelbase between a short box and a long box is 14". Is that about how short your tailpipe is?
69-70 Frame specs1.jpg
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

I viewed the photo of the 6 cyl exhaust kit on Waldren's web page. From the photo and your description, it appears Waldren's exhaust system has a side dump. It should be a rear dump. The tail pipe you require is probably near identical to the 8 cyl tailpipe, with the big difference being the diameter. The 6 cyl tail pipe was 1.75" in diameter. The 8 cyl tailpipe is 2.00" in diameter. This is detailed in the factory service manual.

I believe all the trucks, whether USA, Canada or export, were built in St. Louis.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

martincom wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:19 am
I viewed the photo of the 6 cyl exhaust kit on Waldren's web page. From the photo and your description, it appears Waldren's exhaust system has a side dump. It should be a rear dump. The tail pipe you require is probably near identical to the 8 cyl tailpipe, with the big difference being the diameter. The 6 cyl tail pipe was 1.75" in diameter. The 8 cyl tailpipe is 2.00" in diameter. This is detailed in the factory service manual.

I believe all the trucks, whether USA, Canada or export, were built in St. Louis.

I do not believe that is correct. My 66 W100 was built in Windsor, Ont, Canada. I have Canadian Truck VIN tags in my collection clearly stating built in Windsor, Canada.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

http://www.sweptline.com/hist/vininfo.html

"Most light duty A-series Compacts or D-series pickups were built at the Warren Truck Plant (#1)."

I have yet to come across one myself built other than at Warren.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

[/quote]I do not believe that is correct. My 66 W100 was built in Windsor, Ont, Canada. I have Canadian Truck VIN tags in my collection clearly stating built in Windsor, Canada.
[/quote]

Thank you for correcting and enlightening me.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

Thought I’d post an update and thank everyone for they’re inputs.
Waldrons exhaust company has gone radio silent on me so I will have to sort out my exhaust myself, which won’t be super hard but defeats the purpose of buying a ready made exhaust for my truck so that I could bolt it on and go.

Obviously I would caution anybody from using Waldrons in the future for an exhaust system.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

If you paid with a credit card, you can ask the credit card company to intervene. Typically, they'll issue you an immediate credit, conduct a document investigation, and then make a final decision. I always utilize this as a last resort, but I've been successful every instance in which I did so.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T