Timing Cover 1962 318 Poly

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
wre805
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Ynez
State: CA

Timing Cover 1962 318 Poly

Post by wre805 »

I've searched, read old threads, and seen some debate about which timing covers will fit on the 318 A.

If my understanding is correct, this Mancini cover, pump, and gasket set: https://www.manciniracing.com/maraticowapu.html

...can be used on my 62 318 Poly A engine. So long as I accept that the timing marks are on the "wrong" side, and so long as I fill one unused hole in the block + gasket.

I believe the timing cover on my truck has already been replaced at some point with one of these later LA covers, because feeling around (it's hard to see) on the driver's side I can feel an open bolt hole with what feels like some squishy gasket sealer in it. :lol:

wre805
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Ynez
State: CA

Re: Timing Cover 1962 318 Poly

Post by wre805 »

I think nobody replied because this is a question that has been covered plenty of times. My bad. Here's the "bible" on LA/poly interchangeable parts: https://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/poly318_1.html

But just to recap for anyone else who finds this in the future: Yes. 318 LA timing cover fits on the 318 A Poly.

The LA timing cover has "one bolt hole that the other does not, exactly opposite the fuel pump opening" as the link above says.

In my case I had someone more skilled than myself bore and tap that bolt hole/port in the block, and seal it off and sand it flat.

Worth noting: The LA water pump that comes with the Mancini set will not work, it is too deep and would require mods to the alternator/belt/balancer pulley etc not to mention relocating the radiator. I had a spare A-engine water pump on hand so that's going in to replace the old one which was corroded as heck.