Overdrive driveline

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
hd4tools
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: RACINE
State: WI

Overdrive driveline

Post by hd4tools »

Has anyone added a Gear Vendors overdrive unit to their truck? I found a few old posts about people looking to do it, but no follow ups.

I'd like to do more highway cruising with my truck, but the NP435/ 4:10 Dana is limiting that. I've looked and the lowest gear offered for a Dana is 3.54. Still not the best for the highway.

Harold Davidson
Cesspool of knowledge. All kinds of useless $$hit floating around.
1970 D200

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Overdrive driveline

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Russ Roth had one in his 68 W200 BB truck, but he's not around anymore.

Sweptline66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Portland
State: OR

Post by Sweptline66 »

I'm about to pull the trigger on one. Waiting for GV to get back to me; the only question I have left is if I get a 2" lift how much it will affect the OD unit, vibration, etc. Got a '66 W200, 4:10 gears as well. Will report back/post once I get the GVOD installed.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

As it has the Dana, I'm going to speculate the truck is a D200. Does it have tall tires? If so, the 3.54:1 would be about as steep as you'd want to go. If the truck doesn't have tall tires/wheels, you may want to research how tall you could go and spend your money on rims/tires. If you're still not happy with it after that, change to the 3.54:1. Changing anything within the differential of Dana requires a lot of $pecial tools...don't ask me how I know.

Regardless, I'm thinking this would be a better, more cost effective route than an OD and you're not making a Frankenstein out of the truck, which will have a big impact on it's resale value.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

hd4tools wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:46 pm
Has anyone added a Gear Vendors overdrive unit to their truck? I found a few old posts about people looking to do it, but no follow ups.

I'd like to do more highway cruising with my truck, but the NP435/ 4:10 Dana is limiting that. I've looked and the lowest gear offered for a Dana is 3.54. Still not the best for the highway.
I turned over the odometer twice in my 70 W200 with the 4:10/435 and 9.50 x 16.5 tires. Was my daily driver work truck and NEVER had an issue at 65-70 on the freeway. One trip was CA to Michigan and back. Max I ever got it to was 105 MPH. Vibrated so much the dome light started flickering :lol:
BTW, ALL trannies are the same ratio output in top gear, unless they're OD, so the tranny is irrelevant.