Carter BB Accelerator pump question

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: Carter BB Accelerator pump question

Post by martincom »

712edf wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:07 am
This thread just furthers my desire to ditch my Carter & switch to the simpler brand. :lol: Bucky
Ditto Jim's comments. The Carter BBD is a simple carburetor. They were utilized for decades, which speaks to their great design. Even though Carter ceased manufacturing them in 1985, they are still well supported nearly 40 years later. I was actually very disappointed when I purchased my truck and found that the first owner had replaced the BBD with a 4-barrel AVS. I would have went back to that, but it would have cost too much to source all the required components.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

martincom wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:01 pm
I was actually very disappointed when I purchased my truck and found that the first owner had replaced the BBD with a 4-barrel AVS. I would have went back to that, but it would have cost too much to source all the required components.
When my project is done, I may have a spare, as I found a NOS Carter 6134S-2174-32 just after I started.
Nothing quite like having a new throttle shaft and bore to work with.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

Jims68 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:18 pm
712edf wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:07 am
This thread just furthers my desire to ditch my Carter & switch to the simpler brand. :lol:

Bucky
Awww... don't do that. It's an easy carb to work on and it really RUNS good too on my 318. You just need to understand it. Same with (opening a can of worms here) a distributor with points work GREAT. Auto manufacturers used the points system for years. I don't think young folks would even know how to adjust them. The other day when I replaced my points, I showed my nephew the new set and asked him what they were. He thought it was some type of switch. OK... so he wasn't 100% wrong, but he really had no idea of how they work or their usage. ME? I will always stay with the points, condenser setups. Ah... come on now... don't hate me for saying that! :lol:
ha one of my good friends ,loves points hated electronic ignition ..says i like to know at least if something fails with a point system i can fix it and get home

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park

Post by Jims68 »

nutz wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:32 pm

ha one of my good friends ,loves points hated electronic ignition ..says i like to know at least if something fails with a point system i can fix it and get home
I suppose he's about my age! :lol: I feel the same way, but I can't say I really "hate" electronic ignition, but I know you can't really "fix" it if you're out on the road... and besides, all our new stuff has it, plus fuel injection. However, they also have those lights that look like a little engine :thinking .... and my old Dodge doesn't have one of those! HAHA!!
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I just don't see the point in bothering with something semi-complex (rebuilding a Carter BBD for the 100th time. Its 47 years old) when something simpler (bolting on a new Holley) will do. I UNDERSTANDhow a Carter works, I'm just too old & busy to jack with it again. It actually is running fine for now, but will likely start acting up when I really need it.

Same for ignitions. I will take a magneto any day over points (yes a mag has them) or EI. To hell with all that wiring, resistors, regulators, condensers. I also tend to shy away from power steering, power brakes, power windows, power mirrors, even radios etc.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park

Post by Jims68 »

712edf wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:39 am
I just don't see the point in bothering with something semi-complex (rebuilding a Carter BBD for the 100th time. Its 47 years old) when something simpler (bolting on a new Holley) will do. I UNDERSTANDhow a Carter works, I'm just too old & busy to jack with it again. It actually is running fine for now, but will likely start acting up when I really need it.

Same for ignitions. I will take a magneto any day over points (yes a mag has them) or EI. To hell with all that wiring, resistors, regulators, condensers. I also tend to shy away from power steering, power brakes, power windows, power mirrors, even radios etc.

Bucky
Today though would've been nice if I had power steering in my '69 Roadrunner. I had to do a tight K turn in a guys driveway. Whew... my arms feel like Popeye now! :lol:
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

712edf wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:39 am
To hell with all that wiring, resistors, regulators, condensers. I also tend to shy away from power steering, power brakes, power windows, power mirrors, even radios etc.
Totally with you in principle but for one thing: With what I do, the wife MUST be able to drive it in an emergency. That means power brakes and steering. I wish it wasn't that way, but...
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

I'm lucking in that we have multiple vehicles & my wife has never ever ridden in my W600 (the only Mopar I have owned since our union. The other 20 came during the glorious single years :lol: ).
If something happens to me while out in it, hopefully some truck driver with a step ladder will come along to move it out of the way.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

I must be a wuss. PS & PB were at the top of my must haves when sweptline shopping. I did give up A/C. However, now that we're re-locating to AL, I maybe on the hunt for an A/C dash, HVAC box, compressor and plumbing.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg

Post by nutz »

yeah i'm just to busy to play with points ,worn dist shafts and broken advance springs
and on a slant six its a pia ....on the 50 dodge its too orginal to change
so electronic is the best choice for me (and i have a couple of shops that tow .....
as in ps once you add some fat radial tires its not like turning a set of bias-plies
and slowing down a set of disks need a little boost
there is nothing like the triva of the old ...but sometimes its nice to cruise down the highway at 80mph for a couple of hrs
would never ask that of the shop truck so i roll in the 12 ram 1500 on those gotta get there days (would be cool not to have too )

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

I started a thread on my Carter situation:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44353

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

nutz wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:14 pm
yeah i'm just to busy to play with points ,worn dist shafts and broken advance springs
and on a slant six its a pia ....on the 50 dodge its too orginal to change
so electronic is the best choice for me (and i have a couple of shops that tow .....
as in ps once you add some fat radial tires its not like turning a set of bias-plies
and slowing down a set of disks need a little boost
there is nothing like the triva of the old ...but sometimes its nice to cruise down the highway at 80mph for a couple of hrs
would never ask that of the shop truck so i roll in the 12 ram 1500 on those gotta get there days (would be cool not to have too )
For my Sweptlines and my '67 Coronet R/T...... I went with the MoPar Performance E.I. kit.
Not a single issue with any of them. :Thumbsup

John