A745 Oil Type

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

A745 Oil Type

Post by 64D100Poly »

Hello, I’m at 10,000 mile interval to change trans oil. Manual says type “A” ATF?? From my research people use a few different types of oil, right now it has gear oil, what do some of you guys run in yours? I’m in PNW so temp averages between 20s to 90s throughout the year.

Also what do you run in the diff (8 3/4)? Manual says SAE 90
A grinder & paint make me the welder I ain't

-1965 (early) D100 Sweptline Daily
-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
-1968 Barracuda Formula S
OO\===/OO

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: A745 Oil Type

Post by martincom »

Well, while my daughters accuse me of being as old as dirt, 1964 was a bit before my entry into the automotive world. I'm wondering if it was before the advent multi-viscosity lubricants? Straight SAE90 is a bit on the stiff side for cold temperatures. If you've never changed your differential lube, I'd maybe give some thought to drawing it all out, with a hand drawn suction tube (similar to a grease gun in appearance), aka: siphon gun and replacing it with a multi-viscosity, such as SAE 75-90. Do this just after driving, so the fluid is warm and flows better. Alternatively, you can add a drain plug to the axle housing.

http://www.sweptline.com/tech/drainplug.html

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mopp- ... l-housing/

Considering the service manual specified ATF as the transmission lubricant, substituting it with gear oil creates some concern. First would be cold weather usage both in terms of operation and thee added stress of moving what would be a near grease like consistency. I'd check ahead to the latest year that transmission was utilized and see what are specifying.

I wouldn't be afraid to utilize ATF. They still use ATF as a lubricant in a gear case. My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee specifies ATF for the transfer case.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

In addition to what martincom said,I would go with dex VI if it’s in the budget. The six speed manual in my car has a tag on it that says use dex II E only. After many conversations and advice I found the VI is backward compatible for all dextron atf and is full synthetic.
I run synthetic oils in everything unless it is an engine with a rope seal for a rear main.
Must be humans are better than dinosaurs at making stuff for oils. LOL
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

BigBlockTrucks wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:13 pm
I run synthetic oils in everything unless it is an engine with a rope seal for a rear main.
One wonders if one still needs the ZDDP with a synthetic for the cam and tappets, or even if it those additives are compatible with the synthetic. I think I may give a call to the folks at Amzoil, as they're pretty helpful with information like that.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

yeah i agree with synthetics in everything
i would run 75w140 in the rear ( something that old i'm sure is worn in )and dex v or vi to replace any atf and run it 50k
just stay away from lv
if its a posi might need friction additives
what you need is lead additives to your fuel for the valves

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

One wonders if one still needs the ZDDP with a synthetic for the cam and tappets, or even if it those additives are compatible with the synthetic
Perform a browser search on ZDDP. I came across an article/chart that discussed it and the oils that still have it. I posted links to it a month or so ago, but it was in a post that wasn't related to the subject of the thread.....and I can't remember which one it was.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 64D100Poly »

martincom wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:11 pm
SAE90 is a bit on the stiff side for cold temperatures. If you've never changed your differential lube, I'd maybe give some thought to drawing it all out, with a hand drawn suction tube (similar to a grease gun in appearance), aka: siphon gun and replacing it with a multi-viscosity, such as SAE 75-90. Do this just after driving, so the fluid is warm and flows better. Alternatively, you can add a drain plug to the axle housing.

Considering the service manual specified ATF as the transmission lubricant, substituting it with gear oil creates some concern. First would be cold weather usage both in terms of operation and thee added stress of moving what would be a near grease like consistency. I'd check ahead to the latest year that transmission was utilized and see what are specifying.

I wouldn't be afraid to utilize ATF. They still use ATF as a lubricant in a gear case. My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee specifies ATF for the transfer case.
When if first got it it looked like the original gear oil, closer to a solid than a liquid. I used one of those hand pump vacuum pumps they use for brake bleeds to get most of it out then filled it with some diesel and spun the wheels by hand to agitate the old sludge, after I flushed it I put 80-90w in it and never had issues, It is time I changed it to get any last sludge out of it and wanted to verify that using non-straight 90 is safe.

I had went through my transmission a little after I got it to replace the seals, I don't recall what came out of it but the internals were in near flawless condition so after new seals I put it back in with new shift bushings. At the time I had read of people using gear oil so that's what I put in it, I was shocked when I looked at the manual the other day and it called for ATF! I never had any issues with gear oil in terms of shifting performance but I know oils have a big role in a syncro performance, my 59 austin healy uses sae 30. I had put in synthetic and would grind every gear due to the friction modifiers present in synthetic oils, the only time it shifts perfectly is when I use bottom shelf conventional oil. This is why I am skeptical to use ATF but from what I see I guess its worth a shot, after all that's what the people who designed it recommend! :thinking

-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
OO\===/OO

64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 64D100Poly »

Wildergarten wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:12 pm
BigBlockTrucks wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:13 pm
One wonders if one still needs the ZDDP with a synthetic for the cam and tappets, or even if it those additives are compatible with the synthetic. I think I may give a call to the folks at Amzoil, as they're pretty helpful with information like that.
I use Valvoline VR1 It's supposed to have high zinc content.

-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
OO\===/OO

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

64D100Poly wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:03 pm
This is why I am skeptical to use ATF but from what I see I guess its worth a shot, after all that's what the people who designed it recommend! :thinking
But the term "ATF" in 1964 means something totally different than ATF on the shelf today.

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

atf is around a 10 weight hydro fluid with a detergent in it
some syncros need a friction additives but i've only heard of early euro cars needing it
my 67 rear had the nastiest oil i've ever seen ,it came out in chunks ,if yours is anything like what mine was might want to drill a hole and add a drain plug

64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 64D100Poly »

nutz wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:20 pm
atf is around a 10 weight hydro fluid with a detergent in it
some syncros need a friction additives but i've only heard of early euro cars needing it
my 67 rear had the nastiest oil i've ever seen ,it came out in chunks ,if yours is anything like what mine was might want to drill a hole and add a drain plug
I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do, I decided to stick with the gear oil in the trans, I started reading up on a number of people who opened up old 3 spd's that had ATF in em and the wear was significantly more then trans with gear oil of the same mileage.

-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
OO\===/OO

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

http://www.lesfrickshun.com/nostalgia-motor-oils.html
Good people to work with..... :Thumbsup Support the small guys.... :salut
John

64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 64D100Poly »

Hobcobble wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:31 am
http://www.lesfrickshun.com/nostalgia-motor-oils.html
Good people to work with..... :Thumbsup Support the small guys.... :salut
John
Thanks for recommending them, looks like they got some good stuff! :Thumbsup

-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
OO\===/OO

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Matthews
State: NC

Post by 68swep »

Last edited by 68swep on Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Matthews
State: NC

Post by 68swep »