1962 D200 318 poly 3 speed column

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Maxwedgehoarder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort lauderdale
State: FL

1962 D200 318 poly 3 speed column

Post by Maxwedgehoarder »

I just bought a 62 D200 with a poly 318 with a 3 speed on the column and I want to swap it out for a max wedge with a hemi 4 speed....I have been reading previous threads but still confused. Can you or how easy is it to swap an RB with a 4 speed using the hydraulic clutch. Since I am changing engine and trans there should be no issue with bell housing etc...However I suspect the trans crossmember and engine mounts or mounting pads on K member would have to be changed or just use diff year mounts or crossmember? Or is it easier or the same to use an La small block?? Thank you in
advance for taking time to help me and share what you know

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Re: 1962 D200 318 poly 3 speed column

Post by nutz »

there are a lot of things to consider
from what i've read (could be wrong on a couple of things )
1st is parking brake ,you will need backing plates from a 65.5? up and hard ware
rear trans support is the next ...think its 70/71 that move it off the bell housing think they go away from hydro and will be easier to find a clutch and bell housing
then what are you going to do with brakes (power ? dual master? disk ?) cause you will need to worry about clutch slave
sounds cool good luck

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

Post by jeffc57 »

the bell for the B or RB engine are out there but not cheap or common in the old hydro, not the same as the /6 or small bock bell,. The 69 up used a mechanical bell with no cross member mount. Bell for 833 4sd is not the same as the old hydro bell or later mech truck bell and is not compatible. You will need to remove the front cross member (under the cab the bell mounts to) an install rear cross member hanger for 833. E brake for rear axle also needs upgrade( as above).

Maxwedgehoarder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort lauderdale
State: FL

Post by Maxwedgehoarder »

thanks jeff
i am removing the present drivetrain engine and trans.....replacing it with a max wedge and hemi 4 speed with proper rb old bell housing non hydraulic clutch, but hoping to use a mccloud hydraulic clutch if possible otherwise mechanical clutch. was going to re use the dana in rear or upgrade to newer dana60...my concerns are the engine mounts and pads on k member and what trans cross member will work with 833 4 speed.......brake upgrades are easier def double master and poss disc but ok with drums for now

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

Post by jeffc57 »

mount for the trans from a auto truck trans should work for the 833, these were common to automatic trucks of the era 61 to 71 (69 t0 71 manual trucks also) and should be a bolt in. You may want to install two peace drive line with carrier bearing to take strain off rear of the trans housing.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

If you torch out the crossmember under the bell, you must install a spanner where it was to tie the frame together at that point. That crossmember is also integral to the mounting bracket for the front leaf springs.