Exhaust question

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

Exhaust question

Post by fireguyfire »

I’m looking for a full exhaust for my 1970 1/2 ton slant 6.
Is there a full out of the box exhaust for our trucks?
I was able to find a full exhaust for my 1940 dodge 1/2 to , but I’m not having as much luck finding o e for my 1970.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: Exhaust question

Post by martincom »

I'd suggest you contact Waldron's. I didn't see your truck (slant 6) listed, but they may still have the data or if your old system is intact enough, they can make a copy. I like Waldron's because they offer stainless steel as an option. The part's store exhaust system are pretty light gauge steel and don't last very long.

https://waldronexhaust.com/
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

So I went to my local auto repair shop owned by a friend and he said they would be happy to make me up a stock exhaust.
He wanted me to do some research on a muffler; what do you guys recommend for a modern replacement for a stock looking and sounding muffler on these old trucks?

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

Check your factory service manual (get one, if you don't have one). They typically have very good illustrations of the exhaust system.

No reflection on your friend, but all but one custom pipe bending exhaust shops I've encountered have been nothing but hacks. You may want to give some thought to at least sourcing the tailpipe from Waldron's, as that is the most difficult pipe to fit/bend. They'll also sell just the muffler. Also, I must have missed it the first time I looked, Waldron's does offer a complete exhaust system for your truck: https://waldronexhaust.com/product/1954 ... e-exhaust/
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

When I installed the original style 318 Poly in my 66 W100 it had no exhaust at all. A competent muffler shop custom built the exhaust from the Y Pipe to tip exiting out the right rear just as it was originally done. He used bending patterns from a book they had. I couldn't have been more pleased with the results. Only deviation was a welded muffler instead of a wrapped original style. :dance :dance :dance
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

martincom wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:34 am
I'd suggest you contact Waldron's. I didn't see your truck (slant 6) listed, but they may still have the data or if your old system is intact enough, they can make a copy. I like Waldron's because they offer stainless steel as an option. The part's store exhaust system are pretty light gauge steel and don't last very long.

https://waldronexhaust.com/
Great source. :clap :Thumbsup

John

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fireguyfire »

Thanks for the opinions gents

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:23 pm
When I installed the original style 318 Poly in my 66 W100 it had no exhaust at all. A competent muffler shop custom built the exhaust from the Y Pipe to tip exiting out the right rear just as it was originally done. He used bending patterns from a book they had. I couldn't have been more pleased with the results. Only deviation was a welded muffler instead of a wrapped original style. :dance :dance :dance
I was a pipe bender for years back in the day. if you have a shop that uses the bender cards or the book patterns then stay with them! most shops now days no one can bend worth a dam. I see terrible results all the time. I loved building stuff with those factory spec cards. My work ended up on many pebble beach show cars. do it right or don't do it!