Timing

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Cesarv831
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bakersfield
State: CA

Timing

Post by Cesarv831 »

I’m having issues with my timing my gear had stripped before so i replaced them and set the timing to factory timing and also replaced the distributor gear, distributor is aiming correctly i believe” the rotor is aiming to the first spark wire but when i try starting it up it cranks but then after a few crank it backfires through the carb what can it be?

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: Timing

Post by martincom »

You could be off with the rotor placement.

1. Remove the #1 cylinder spark plug.

2. Remove the distributor cap.

3. Place your finger over the spark plug hole.

4. Crank the engine over, by jumping the starter relay, if you don't have an assistance (or if you want to stay married).

5. As you feel compression come up against your finger, watch the timing mark, on the dampener, until it is at TDC. If you go past it, you'll have to bring it around two revolutions to be back at the firing stroke. Four stroke engines complete two revolutions for each complete cycle.

6. The camshaft is now at #1 firing position. If your rotor is not, you'll need to lift the distributor/oil pump drive shaft/gear and rotate it so the rotor will be at #1 firing position.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Timing

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Cesarv831 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:03 pm
but then after a few crank it backfires through the carb what can it be?
You have the distributor 180 degrees out of phase. That's the classic symptom. Pull the distributor, turn the rotor 180 degrees, -put it back in, set the timing.