Water pump replacement

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
patrino
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Portland
State: OR

Water pump replacement

Post by patrino »

I'm preparing to replace the water pump on my '66 D200. Engine is 318 Poly.

Any idea if the fan and/or pump can be removed without yanking the radiator? I've been told that there probably isn't enough clearance between the radiator and the fan bolts (when they're backed out).

Any suggestions / ProTips appreciated. I don't mind yanking the radiator but try to keep things as simple as possible.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Water pump replacement

Post by dodgeboykim »

patrino wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:20 pm
I'm preparing to replace the water pump on my '66 D200. Engine is 318 Poly.

Any idea if the fan and/or pump can be removed without yanking the radiator? I've been told that there probably isn't enough clearance between the radiator and the fan bolts (when they're backed out).

Any suggestions / ProTips appreciated. I don't mind yanking the radiator but try to keep things as simple as possible.
It can, But seeing as you have to drain engine of coolant why leave radiator in truck. So much easier with it out. :thinking :thinking
With radiator out its much easier and less chance of damaging it. :Thumbsup
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Alancfrey
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Post by Alancfrey »

Agreed.
When i replaced the water pump and housing on my 68' 383 last summer it was way easier to pull the radiator out than try to mess with clearance issues. Allowed me to realize it was time for a new champion radiator too. Those old parts are HEAVY compared to the aluminum versions. Wish I could lose 12 lbs just like that hahahaa!

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

Post by jeffc57 »

fan bolts are the only issue that I remember as a issue,since you have to drain the fluid anyway up to you if you want to pull the radiator. Be be sure you get the right pump from the parts store, the outlet change sides on later pumps. There a good radiator shop in Vancouver "Wilsons" if you need a rebuild if the tanks are good.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

Alancfrey wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:37 pm
Agreed.
When i replaced the water pump and housing on my 68' 383 last summer it was way easier to pull the radiator out than try to mess with clearance issues. Allowed me to realize it was time for a new champion radiator too. Those old parts are HEAVY compared to the aluminum versions. Wish I could lose 12 lbs just like that hahahaa!
What was the part number on that champion radiator? Was it a direct fit?
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear