NP435 questions

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: gray
State: TN

NP435 questions

Post by Drummerdad »

So, I got Isaacs truck started today. I noticed when pushing it out of the garage, the engine was turning, and I was sure it was in neutral. No biggie, just adjust the clutch rod a little more, but that didnt seem to help. Idling, I cant release the clutch because it starts to roll forward. So, then out of curiosity, I put it in what I thought was 1st, and it wouldnt move. Well, the engine bogged down, and the truck rocked forward slightly, but the engine was about to die. It seemed like way too much strain, so I stopped.

It is possible Im having two issues. The slave cylinder seems to be working fine, so I might need more adjustment. But is it possible I got the shifter plate on wrong and the shifter fork is in the wrong location? I cant seem to find 3rd or 4th gear. And 1st is WAY up toward the dash pad. And again, it seems there is no neutral.

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: NP435 questions

Post by Drummerdad »

I thought this might help...
Attachments
reverse
reverse
second gear
second gear
first gear
first gear

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Maybe you are in 3rd when you think you are in 1st.

On my 70's 435 Reverse was alot closer to the seat. Anyways neutral should be easy to find. I would chock the wheels until I determined what was going on.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

And first should be up by the dash.

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

First is up at the dash, Im sure. But the truck bogs when Im in first, or reverse. And I tried several times to find neutral, and it seems to be in neutral. Its just not acting the way I expect. Ive driven manuals before, and old farm trucks, so this shouldnt be out of my wheel house. I think I have something wrong. Ill look up how to install the shifter plate for the transmission. Maybe thatll help.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

So what happens when you have the engine running & the shifter in Neutral? Theoretically nothing should be going as far as the vehicle trying to move if on level ground. The noise will change on clutch-in vs clutch-out, but that's the T/O bearing.

Reverse & Low are very low ratios but it's still possible to stall the engine out at idle if the pedal is released too quickly. But since you have driven manuals before you are familiar with the "feel" of a clutch pedal.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

Thats what gave it away that I have an issue. I am sure I am in neutral, but the truck will move if I release the clutch. And it seems to not want to move when I am in 1st or reverse.

I read on a Bronco forum (yeah I know, but it came up during a google search for NP435s) a guy had the exact same issue, and they said he was stuck between two gears. I have to remove the shifter plate and make sure its in right.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

I'm guilty of reading up on other forums too if that's where the information appears to be.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

it is possible it was in gear when put the shifter in and now your just shifting threw the other gates
pull the shifter out and should see three slots in the hole they should all line up in neutral then install shifter

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

nutz wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 8:12 pm
it is possible it was in gear when put the shifter in and now your just shifting threw the other gates
pull the shifter out and should see three slots in the hole they should all line up in neutral then install shifter
You must be referring to the stick when you say shifter - not the cover with the shift forks?

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

yes not 100 % sure on your trans
but have seen it on others
does the stick easily pull out of the cover
if its the one i think you can push down on the "ball" and pull the shifter out
then look down in the cover and see if one of the slides are out of line
if they all line up it in neutral

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

I got it. Thanks guys.

I took the cover off, and realized there are 2 forks on the cover, one in the middle and one at the back. After looking and fitting a few times, the biggest gear at the rear of the transmission, was not in its place. The rear fork has little guides on it, that need to be inside a ridge on that big gear. After making sure both forks were where they needed to be, I put it back, and it works. I pulled out of the garage in reverse today, and pulled back in in 1st. And I have neutral now.

Thank you all. Now I just have to fix these brakes... :banghead