Rear end

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Swanie68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oregon
State: OH

Rear end

Post by Swanie68 »

I have a 68 d300 dually. Rear end is stamped with 70. Does that mean it is just a dana 70? I would think it would have to be heavier duty then that. But I have no idea. I need to order some parts for it so I can start putting it back together but don't know what dana I'm working with. Thanks for any help.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Rear end

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Its a dana 70. Don't even think about finding new drums.

sixpak340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Carlisle
State: PA

Re: Dana 70 Rear end

Post by sixpak340 »

The Dana 70 is a beefy unit, my 1990 W350 Cummins 5-speed came with one too.

Swanie68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Swanie68 »

The drums hard to find, or just cost an outrageous amount? I do have a guy I can get parts from and he said dana 70 is a really common rear end. He can get parts and whatever I need.
Or is it better to find a conversion kit?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The Dana 70 was common, but most do not have 6 wheel lugs. I don't know if the dually axle uses different brakes than a non dually. I do not suspect that much changes over from the 8 lug axle to the 6, but I actually have no idea. PwrWgnDrvr probably has more information pertaining to that.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Same brakes, same drums, different hub.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

The Dana 70 was/is utilized by a number of manufacturers. When I first started out in business, I couldn't afford new trucks. My first business step van had a Ford E370 chassis under it. Shortly after purchasing it, the rear end began to make noise. As I didn't have the special tools to service it and had concluded it wouldn't be cost effective to purchase them, I took it to the Ford dealer. $900 later (in 1984 dollars) it was supposedly all taken care of. The truck sat for about the next 9 months. When it was finally placed into service, the differential began to make noise two weeks later. A pinion bearing race had spun in the housing. The dealer would do nothing, stating their 90 day warranty had long lapsed. Of course the housing was junk as a result of the bearing spinning. Of course, as the driveline is offset to the right in an Econoline, nothing but an Econoline axle would fit. 1-ton Econolines with duals were a rare breed. I got lucky and found a truck that had partially burned. I was able to salvage the rear axle.

A few years later, we purchased another used step van that was near the twin. It had been maintained by incompetent "mechanics". The differential had been ran dry as they had not installed the rear seals properly, when doing a brake job. This time I purchased all the special tools and did the rebuild myself. It was still going 200,000 miles later, when the truck was 30 years old, and drove into the scrap yard.

I found a Dana-Spicer distributor, Inland Truck Parts, that I could source Dana parts from for a fraction of what the dealer's part counter was seeking. They also had free printed service manuals and parts lists. Super fast shipping, I had everything in less than a week.

I do still have all the specials tools, if you'd like to purchase them. It was about $800 worth in 1984 dollars. Shipping would be crazy, as they are awfully heavy.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

Swanie68
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Swanie68 »

Martincom, I sent you a private message.