How to clamp air filter housing

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Auburn
State: AL

How to clamp air filter housing

Post by SteveH »

Hey there,…I have gotten my 66 W200 going and am readying it for Home Depot runs. I am missing the air cleaner housing. It has the Stromberg two barrel on it and it runs fine. Problem is,…there is no mounting stud, nor a provision for one. I guess the original housing clamped on the carb throat somehow,..but I see the top of the throat is sloped downward at the exterior outer edge,…How in the world can something clamp to that ? Also,…obviously need the housing itself, or a suggestion of something that will work. Any thoughts? Thanks, Steve

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: How to clamp air filter housing

Post by SteveH »

Oh, and it’s a stock 318 Poly with four speed. Forgot to mention.

64D100Poly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vancouver
State: WA

Post by 64D100Poly »

Yes you are correct with the clamp, it fits over the slope and uses it to lock in. I have an air cleaner with that style of mount I will send a photo if I can find it. They sell adapters for them if you wanted to use a regular all-thread with a wingnut.

link to adapter: (not 100% this will fit yours, just an example) https://www.carburetor-parts.com/adaptor-dpc1.html

Best of luck - LB
A grinder & paint make me the welder I ain't

-1965 (early) D100 Sweptline Daily
-1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer
-1968 Barracuda Formula S
OO\===/OO

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

Thanks for the info. That’s what I suspected,…and that link helps a lot. If nobody has an air cleaner assembly to sell me I’ll likely make one of those clamps. I think if I slit a length of 1/4 inch soft copper pipe with a cut off wheel and open it up a bit, flatten the ends into flanges, drill some holes, and use a through bolt, I can do it. It doesn’t have to be fancy or look good,…just functional. But I hope someone sees this and has a filter housing for me to buy. It can be totally trashed, dented, etc. I’ll work with it.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

SteveH wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:39 pm
Thanks for the info. That’s what I suspected,…and that link helps a lot. If nobody has an air cleaner assembly to sell me I’ll likely make one of those clamps. I think if I slit a length of 1/4 inch soft copper pipe with a cut off wheel and open it up a bit, flatten the ends into flanges, drill some holes, and use a through bolt, I can do it. It doesn’t have to be fancy or look good,…just functional. But I hope someone sees this and has a filter housing for me to buy. It can be totally trashed, dented, etc. I’ll work with it.
I have a nice air cleaner that came on the '66 318 with Stromberg 2 barrel. I purchased it for my '67 D100 Shorty( changed to 4 barrel set-up). Pm me and I will send you information on it.
Attachments
004 (640x480) (2) (1).jpg
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer