Fuel system advice

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: gray
State: TN

Fuel system advice

Post by Drummerdad »

I am getting close to starting the reassembly of Isaacs truck. I have a new gas tank, and lines, filters, etc. I have a few questions though, for those who have done a complete build, or rebuilt their fuel system.

The tank is brand new. A 22 gallon tank from a 70 mustang. I got the sending unit/float mechanism yesterday, but it only has one fuel supply line coming out of it. I was watching a YouTube video on another car build, and they were using an electric return style system. I plan on upgrading the engine later, and might need a return system. I want a 5.7 hemi, but with Dodge killing the hemi in 2023, the prices are going up fast. I might have to build a 360 and add fuel injection, which would be fine. I think it would be a good idea to add a return fitting to the tank now, before I fill it with gas. I can cap it for now, and use it later. Or should I go ahead and upgrade the fuel system now...ditch the mechanical pump, and run a good fuel pump with a regulator and return line now? Im not sure.

The next question I think I answered yesterday, but I want to make sure. I have a filter between the pump and the carb now. I am adding another filter between the tank and the pump. I was unsure if I needed both, but decided to play it safe. Does this sound okay?

And should I add a roll over vent? I have no plans to race the truck, or put it in a bad situation. Do I need one? Now would be the time to add it.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia

Re: Fuel system advice

Post by my5thmopar »

I think I would future proof by upgrading now. Doing it now gives you the options. Fuel system check! Do you need an EFI tank or are plans for an electric or command center type fuel system? I’ve had issues with filters between the tank and mechanical pump. It won’t matter with a pusher electric type pump. :2cents Craig

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

Future proofing is what Im thinking too. Ill keep this tank and use an aftermarket carb replacement style kit, unless I get the Hemi. Ill use an inline fuel pump. I could just use a bypass style regulator. Or just add a return line just in case. If I dont use it, oh well.
Good to know about the filter problems with a mechanical. I just bought a new mechanical pump a few months back though. Im going to have to re-think this a little.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

Before procuring an electric pump, make sure the noise level and character is acceptable to you. It may require both a remote location and isolation mounting beyond what the manufacturer offers.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Drummerdad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Drummerdad »

Thanks for the advice. Im still not 100% sure what Ill do. I have a new mechanical fuel pump for the 318 now. I guess I can use it with the single filter between the pump and the carb. Ill save the other filter for when I go fuel injected. I might go ahead and make a mount so its a bolt on. I dont want to spend a ton of money on parts that I might not be able to use. An electric pump for a carb wont work with fuel injection.

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

wow looks great
mine is a utline short box keeping the 6 3 speed
want to relocate my gas tank
read about the mustang tank
so 70 is the best one to buy