Clutch Master Cylinder Line Adaptor

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
mstrader77
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Salem
State: OR

Clutch Master Cylinder Line Adaptor

Post by mstrader77 »

I'm working on a 1967 D100. The port threads on the new clutch master cylinder appear to be 1/4 npt. I don't have the original line. I thought an npt to inverted flare adaptor would be easy to source, but it's proving almost impossible. Did the original line or master use an adaptor? I can make it work, but want to make sure I'm not over complicating it. Thanks, Mark

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Clutch Master Cylinder Line Adaptor

Post by Wildergarten »

Did the original line or master use an adaptor?
Yes. I have seen both straight and 90° 1/4"NPT X 1/4" Inverted Flare fittings in that position.
Personally, I prefer the 90° fitting. To find one, look to a local company that makes up hydraulic hoses for heavy equipment and they'll probably be able to help you.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

mstrader77
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mstrader77 »

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I would think a master cylinder would come with the adaptor if they are so elusive to source. After 4 hours in Napa, Autozone, Orielly's, and finally Advanced Auto yesterday, I found a 1/4" npt to 1/4" flare fitting. I ordered a stainless braided hose (which I would prefer not to use) with an adapter, but its 1/8" npt. I'll probably use a reducer bushing and the stainless hose/adapter. I prefer factory appearing parts, but also a simple install, so the stainless hose will probably end up in the truck. I installed an A833 transmission, so my slave is directly under the master by a little over a foot or so, so there's not a lot of length for hard line plus a rubber hose section without it looking cobbled together. Thanks again for the info.

mstrader77
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mstrader77 »

I contacted the manufacturer of the clutch master cylinder and they confirmed the port size is 1/4" npt, NOT 1/2"-20. They are updating their website with the correct information.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

here is the part number for the correct clutch hose and the hose for the MC on the 4x4s and the D300 and up trucks

Dorman No. H79366

I think will need a male1/4 inv fl coupler to make it work

mstrader77
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mstrader77 »

Thanks for the number. I had seen that hose, but it is too short for my setup. I wanted to secure the hard line to the frame and run a hose from there. This required about a 12" hose. I ended up installing a stainless braided hose from the master to the slave. 24" worked well. I used a -3 line. Normal clutch application feels adequate, but quick releasing feels like there is resistance to flow. I may have to change to a -4. It won't be on the road anytime soon, so the current setup will do for now.