Power Steering

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Matthews
State: NC

Power Steering

Post by 68swep »

I need to get power steering in my 68. Its not terrible when I'm driving but if I ever need to so anything delicate like parallel park, ya thats delicate, my arms feel like they are going to snap off. Hopefully there is a kit for this now? I saw posts where people pieced them together but hopefully there is an easier option? If not, I guess I can start working out.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: Power Steering

Post by martincom »

It depends on which method you you desire to implement it. If you're a purist and desire it to be original, often complete "pull off" kits come up for sale. I just posted a link to such, to another member's inquiry. My D100 has the OEM power steering. It is a power assist, not a power steering gear. It has the hydraulic cylinder mounted on the tie rod. It does the job, but it is the same steering gear as your manual, so it is a lot of turns from lock to lock.

If I were you, I'd be more inclined to go with this kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264968463525 No modifications, bolt-in, a complete kit that includes everything, new and it is a power steering gear, so the steering will be faster.

Before you do anything, do a search for "Dodge sweptline power steering conversion kit". It will return a number of threads on this forum and maybe others that discuss just this topic. These threads will give you a lot of insight to the pros & cons of each approach.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration