Grounding Issue for Lights or something else?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Grounding Issue for Lights or something else?

Post by 67step100 »

I have a '69 steering column and I just replaced the plastic self cancelling cam under the steering wheel. There wasn't a lot of extra wiring coming from the old cam but I was able to get the wires tied together and wrapped with electrical tape. When I got everything put back together my front left signal would not work nor the rear right signal or right brake light or the interior left "green signal light. When I engage the left and right signals I can hear it clicking as the working signal flashes. I pulled the bulbs from the front left and rear right lights and they are both good. This can't be a coincidence. I had to pull on the two wires going to the old cam to get enough to tie them to the wires from the new cam. I can see all the wires from the steering column coming out at the bottom and I didn't see any movement when I pulled on the two wires from the cam. Any ideas what I might have done. Its odd that the front left and rear right indicator lights work, as does the right brake light but not the others. Don't know where to start looking. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Grounding Issue for Lights or something else?

Post by Hobcobble »

I'd say you still have a problem with the turn signal switch assembly. :pale

John

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

Hobcobble wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:31 am
I'd say you still have a problem with the turn signal switch assembly. :pale

John
Thanks John. The signal switch and all the lights worked fine before I changed the cam. The only thing that didn't work was the self cancelling. Now the self cancelling works but a new problem has come up.

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: colorado springs
State: CO

Post by ozzie »

it sounds like when you pulled the wires, it pulled the pins , and lost a good connection. look where the wires come out of the column, and there is a connector the you can pull apart, and check the pins for a good connection.
ozzie

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

If you didn't see any movement on two of the wires exiting the bottom of the column, when you pulled on them form the top, I'd suspect broken wires or more likely a previous servicer had cut them, just twisted them together, and wrapped with tape. You probably pulled them apart when replacing what you term the cam.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

Thanks for the replys. Is it possible to get at the wires from the side by somehow removing the steering column cover? I notice a cap on the side of the cover. Are the wires under that? I removed the screw but it didn't budge but maybe if I loosen the column by loosening the two large nuts holding the column in place it will pull out? Or can I only access the wires by removing the steering wheel and the signal switch? Since the gear selector is on the column I don't want to mess that up by removing or loosening something I shouldn't. Thanks.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

Yes, that is how my '71 D100 is configured. The previous owner had just replaced the turn signal switch just prior to my taking delivery. It just didn't "feel" right and wouldn't always cancel. It was a China repop. I had to remove it and do some reaming, sanding & filing on it. I extracted the pins from the connector shell, under the dash, taped them all together and pulled it out of the column to do so. I re-installed it in the same manner.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration