66 Dodge Poly 318; W-200

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
irontwist
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pendleton
State: OR

66 Dodge Poly 318; W-200

Post by irontwist »

Hi to all. Replaced my original cylinder heads and had seat and guide work completed on them. I noticed that my original heads had a 3/8 NC threaded hole. This threaded hole is on the side of the head where the exhaust manifold attaches, towards front if on right side of truck or rear if on left side. New reworked heads do not have this hole. It's been since January that I removed heads and am now reinstalling.
If my recollection is correct the alternator was only attached at two points via the water pump and a curved slotted mounting bracket. My alternator always had a slight inward cant when install.
My question, do I need to drill and tap this none existing threaded bore in my current heads?, is there a part I'm missing that utilizes this nonexistent tapped bore in the trucks original configuration? Sorry unsuccessful at attaching photo.Thanks before and after reply.
Last edited by irontwist on Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 21 times in total.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: 66 Dodge Poly 318; W-200

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

No image.
U need to upload it as an attachment, not drag and drop with brackets. (see ''attachments" below the compose window)

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I just sent off an alternator bracket to a fellow site member from off a 66 Fargo W200 318 Poly. It was the cast iron mount held to head by 3 3/8 N/C Bolts.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

irontwist
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by irontwist »

Thanks for the reply on the alternator bracket. I need to find the bracket your speaking of. Also need to drill and tap a 3/8 NC bore in the head on the boss in the right front exhaust manifold deck, as my new heads are missing it.
I've never had the alternator bracket so I don't know if this tapped bore is nessasarry? Put a want ad up on the sight hoping someone has a alternator bracket they want to sell.
Attachments
Wow maybe it loaded
Wow maybe it loaded

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

That hole is unused on my 62 W300 poly. The bracket uses 3 of the 4 holes on the end of the head.

irontwist
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by irontwist »

Great thank you, now to find the bracket. This has turned out to be a costly project because of incorrect machine work on my original heads, sunk the intake valves in to far having to grind off the valve tips. Shop took it for granted that my W- 200 had hydraulic lifters which were used in the 318-3 used in the D & W 400. The W-200 is a 318-1 with solid lifters. Gave the machine shop a copy of the specs from original shop manual and they didn't call to verify. Lesson learned.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

I've learned the lesson of @#%-u-me one to many times and it ranks right at the top of the phrase: "The best lessons in life are those you pay dearly for."

It brings to mind a famous one liner from the Steven Seagal movie "Under Siege II". The head bad guy is questioning one of his underlings if he actually SAW Steven Seagal die. The underling responded he assumed he had. The head bad guy responded "Assumption is the mother of all F--- ups."

I'm gathering the machine shop didn't make it right.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

irontwist
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by irontwist »

He returned my money.
Had to buy 5 intake valves as 3 of the original valves from my truck were within spec.
Drove 800 miles to buy 2 heads that seller told me had been rebuilt for $200.00 + fuel, when I measured every thing I found them to be
completely worn out, but rebuildable. $591.00 for machine work on those heads. Where is my violin? :lol:
A note: was able to buy that alternator bracket from Mitchells Used Auto Parts in Conyers, GA. Yippy

polyjon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SHEERNESS
State: Foreign

Post by polyjon »

OMG Irontwist,

Its 2021 and this stuff still goes on?

Most Poly stuff I see now has hardened seats.
But I had a set with hard seats that were very badly worn?
Low comp truck engine as well so I don't understand why?

Are you saying there are hydraulic Poly engines?

You learn something new every day! :lol:
1964 D200 Sweptline trucker