Vacuum choke

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Vacuum choke

Post by GMAN69 »

I have a 69 D100 225. I had a carter one barrel with issues. My son got me a Holly One barrel with vacuum choke. Runs great but I'm not sure what sets the choke, does it still have to be set manually.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Vacuum choke

Post by dodgeboykim »

Vacuum is a pull off to open when warmed up. Sounds like you may have an automatic choke carb instead of a manual cable operated one.
Pictures will help.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Chaulky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ruidoso
State: NM

Post by Chaulky »

I think i have the same this going on, brackets are weird and it seems like an auto choke not the manual maybe?
Attachments
carb2.jpg
'69 W100 318 4spd

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Everything with that carb/choke is homebrew modified.

Chaulky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Chaulky »

It definitely is, should I just do away with the cable and let the auto choke do its thing if that is what is on the carb? Can anyone tell if that is an auto choke?

Thanks
'69 W100 318 4spd

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Looks kinda like it, but I can't say absolutely.
Does the cable setup work? If so, why change it? I prefer a mechanical choke a thousand times more than a vacuum choke.

Chaulky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Chaulky »

Not very good, it's either hard to pull or gets pulled out of the bracket. I havnt had much luck finding the right one so maybe I'll redo the cable with something else that I can make a better bracket for.
'69 W100 318 4spd

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

I've always had good results with a properly setup automatic choke. I see the well for it in the intake manifold.

Also, that carb is from quite a bit newer engine, as evident by the float bowl vent valve. So it will likely require some changes to rich'en it up, if that engine is in '69 configuration.

Also, you'll want to remove that cap from the float bowl vent valve. Normally, that would connect to either the cankcase breather or a charcoal canister, to prevent the fumes from being vented to the atmosphere when the throttle is at idle position.

With it capped, when a hot engine is shut off, the gasoline in the float bowls heats up quickly and vaporizes. Normally, those vapors would escape through the bowl vent valve that you have capped. With it capped, they are going to escape through the internal bowl vent -- that tube in the center of the throat with the top cut off at an angle. When the vaporized gasoline vents out that tube, it contacts cool air, condenses, and falls into the throat, flooding the engine.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Martin is correct that it is not an auto choke. Auto chokes are controlled by manifold heat that opens the choke slowly as the engine heats up. The vacuum dash pot on yours functions to open the choke a little, after the cold engine starts, when there is an auto choke. Otherwise, a fully closed auto choke would immediately flood and kill the engine.

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

As Terry mentioned, the vacuum pull off is designed to open the choke when the engine starts. There is a setting for it, but it only will work with the automatic setup. The cable setup you have or any other one will not allow a pull-off to function. If you install the original thermo setup on the manifold stove and go through all the choke settings, fast idle, etc. it should work fine. If you stick with the cable...you can pretty much eliminate that pull off vacuum diaphragm.
More often than not, those later model carbs with all the pollution crap on them might run a little on the lean side, as they were mostly setup for fuel mileage.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab