Full floater wheel bearing lube

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Full floater wheel bearing lube

Post by sweatybetty »

Doing some work on my 70 W200 Dana 60. Pulled the axles and there is gear oil in the wheel bearings. I dont see any seal that would keep the gear oil out.
My question is, is this the normal way to lube the bearings or is there supposed to be some seal?

Thanks all sb

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Full floater wheel bearing lube

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Its the normal way, but you can pack them with grease if you want. It will eventually dissolve in the oil.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

sweatybetty wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:00 pm
Doing some work on my 70 W200 Dana 60. Pulled the axles and there is gear oil in the wheel bearings. I dont see any seal that would keep the gear oil out.
My question is, is this the normal way to lube the bearings or is there supposed to be some seal?
The bearings should be packed in grease and then it will dissolve in axle oil. You should put grease on the seal as well. If you have time, it is a good idea to put a radius on the seal journal and polish it so that the seal is not damaged when the hub goes on .
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

I purchased a used step van for our business years ago. The biggest issues with it was the company who had performed the "maintenance". When I pulled the rear drums of the Dana 70, the seals were sitting on the hub. The brake shoes were covered with axle lubricant. They had ran the differential dry and the spider gears had froze to their shaft. In turn,the shaft broke the keeper bolt off when it began to turn. The turning shaft oblonged the holes in the carrier. I was able to salvage the housing, the axle shafts, and the ring/pinion---nothing else.

I've never been able to set the seals in the drum with a hammer & punch. I found a clutch drum, from an automatic transmission, that fit over the seals. Using that, I would press them into the drums, with a hydraulic press.

The moral of the sotry is to be sure you have those seals fully seated.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Post by sweatybetty »