NP 435 Troubles

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
dbolterII
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: capitol
State: MN

NP 435 Troubles

Post by dbolterII »

Howdy, over the winter I swapped my "64 poly d~100 420 to a 435. Had it gone thru/ rebuilt by a tranny shop, and the 3~4 shift is awful!! Seems to be sticking in 3rd gear!?! 1st 2nd 4th and reverse seem fine but does not want to come out of third. It slides in ok and when I let out the clutch in 3rd it physically pushes the shifter cane out maybe 1/2 an inch after it engages, and then is difficult to disengage. Any ideas or thoughts appreciated, hoping it is something i can resolve without having to pull the tranny out again, but honestly not even sure where to start... d.b.o.l.t.e.r.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: NP 435 Troubles

Post by wally426ci »

Do you know if they rebuilt any of the shift tower/cover? or if they definitely put the nylon spacers back on the shift forks?

Otherwise, I wonder if they have the gear spacing messed up on the main shaft?

I feel for you. I yanked my NP435 approximately 8-10 times over the last 2 years before giving up and getting an NOS one. I can get it in & out in under an hour now. Not something to be proud of lol.

Best of luck. I had a local shop and Novak do mine and no one could figure out my issue (deceleration rattle).