Fuel System

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Fuel System

Post by 67step100 »

So being relatively new to my truck I have only been taking it on very short runs, say under 10 miles. Always ran and accelerated well. Finally went for a longer drive and on my way back about a mile from home going up hill the truck started losing power (tank at 3/4 full with fresh gas). Then it would start accelerating again for a few seconds and then lose power. Did this back and forth until I finally got home. So I figure I have a fuel delivery problem, probably clogged fuel line or more likely the carb jets.

I'm going to order the carb kit and give it a good cleaning and replace all the fuel lines while I'm at it. What is the correct inside diameter of the fuel line between the tank and carb? And is it OK to use the same Copper/Nickel line I use for brakes (but the correct size)? The tank was cleaned by a PO so I am assuming the tank is OK at this point. Anything else I should check? Thanks. Truck is a D100 with a 318.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Fuel System

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Clogged fuel filter, possibly clogged screen at the fuel line inlet to the carb. line is 5/16. Don't assume anything, ever. Verify and confirm everything.

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

So I think I found the problem. It wasn't a clogged fuel filter but a non functioning fuel filter. The filter inside the housing had separated from the housing so the filter was just floating around inside the housing. I've never seen this before. So I basically had no filter. I moved the new filter from on top of the engine (not a good place for it) to just in front of the mechanical fuel pump. Replaced all the fuel line and cleaned the carb and made sure all passages were clear. Seems to be running fine but need to take a long test drive again when its not raining.

sixpak340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Carlisle
State: PA

Post by sixpak340 »

The fuel filter should be on the pressure side of the pump, not on the feed side.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

Fuel filters were installed between pump and carb for decades. Don't use plastic filters.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

sixpak340 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:09 pm
The fuel filter should be on the pressure side of the pump, not on the feed side.
Why?

sixpak340
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Carlisle
State: PA

Post by sixpak340 »

Typical plumbing, for a water system in a house & more.

If a filter plugs on the inlet side, it can shut off the fuel flow to the pump and ruin it.