3 Speed Question

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Caleb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

3 Speed Question

Post by Caleb »

Good morning,

I am rebuilding the 3 speed manual transmission on my 1966 D100 - 225 Slant Six.

The metal tag on the door frame indicates it's an A-745 transmission, and the casting numbers on the transmission match that, from what I've found. It has '2AU C-95323' cast on the passenger side, and it has a hump in the access plate, which is on the top.

However, every diagram I've found of the A-745 shows it to have a tailshaft extension, and this one does not. Now, this transmission is stamped '9 24 64', and I've already figured out the engine is not the original, so the transmission may not be original to the truck either.

Are the A-745s for the D Series supposed to have a tailshaft?

Also, I'm on the hunt for a First - Reverse gear and I've had no luck thus far. Does anybody have any input on a possible source?

Note - yes, I know, there are better transmissions out there to be had since I'm starting from square one here anyway. But, I plan to use this transmission.

Thanks

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Re: 3 Speed Question

Post by my5thmopar »

How about a tailshaft picture so, we can understand what you’re looking at. Does it have brake too? Craig

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Re: 3 Speed Question

Post by marklein »

I rebuilt one recently for a customer of mine. His was a long shaft 67 and the internals were junk. I had one from a 63, short with the brake. All the internals were the same, only the output shaft was different. Fortunately, his output shaft was usable, and I built it from there. Bought a bearing kit from northwest transmission, they specialize in old stuff.