727 trans help

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Brians1970
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Windsor
State: CO

727 trans help

Post by Brians1970 »

I have a 1970 with a 727a behind it. It is a solid truck but the only issue it has is with the transmission. It seems to have no gears at all. All it seems to have is park and neutral (reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd all just go into neutral). When I did drive this before it would shift into reverse and drive just fine and also go into gear. It did sit for about a year until I recently tried to work on it. Before reverse would pull down a tree no problem but going in to drive it would take about 30 seconds just to get up to about 25mph. Now there is nothing at all. I am wondering if this sounds like a band issue or maybe something with the linkage? Any help would be highly appreciated.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Re: 727 trans help

Post by marklein »

Is it full of oil? Checked in neutral? Not likely a band issue. Linkage feel ok?

jboymechanic
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Muskego
State: WI

Post by jboymechanic »

I second checking the oil. If it's not going into gear at all (versus slipping), that would indicate a pressure issue to me. Bad pump, no fluid or some other pressure related issue.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Plugged filter will also do that big time.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

With it full of fluid let it idle in neutral for a while, then try the gears. I don't think they circulate fluid in Park.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Brians1970
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brians1970 »

Yes I have ran it in neutral for quite a while and also checked and made sure fluid is full. Also lifted the rear end off the ground and put it in gear; nothing.
I'm leaning to some sort of linkage problem. It shifts into all gears super easy as if it's not even hooked up. You barely have to tap it to go into any gear. I did crawl under it while I had a helped shift it down and I could see all of the linkage and it seems to work properly going into the trans.
Is it worth me pulling the pan to see if I can see the linkage on the inside working?

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

The next step would be to put a gauge on it. Middle Port on the right side is forward pressure only, there will be no pressure in reverse. It could be that the rooster comb part is loose on the shaft and allowed the manual valve to disengage. If you don't pressure test it, next step is pull the pan and have a look.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

You say the linkage is moving up to the point where it enters the transmission. Is that lever (arm) itself tight & not slipping around the shaft (can't think of the name, but both the shifter arm & kickdown arm bolt to it). By nature it fits only one way (not counting upside down) & shouldn't slip unless its wallowed out inside.

Also is your kickdown hooked up properly?

You say it was acting odd before it sat up for a year, so yes it likely is an inside issue. I have had a 727 work fine on Friday & not move on Monday. Turned out to be my convertor.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Brians1970
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brians1970 »

One thing I have been messing around with to see if I can get it to work is the kickdown. I've been trying to research it to see if I can get an accurate way to set it up but it's been tough going. I believe that the linkage is definitely needing to be fixed but that wouldn't necessarily have any impact on it going into gear would it?
It is possible the linkage is wallowed out where it meets at the tranny as it is not a right fit together and does seem to have some play.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

712edf wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:31 am
You say the linkage is moving up to the point where it enters the transmission. Is that lever (arm) itself tight & not slipping around the shaft (can't think of the name, but both the shifter arm & kickdown arm bolt to it). By nature it fits only one way (not counting upside down) & shouldn't slip unless its wallowed out inside.

Also is your kickdown hooked up properly?

You say it was acting odd before it sat up for a year, so yes it likely is an inside issue. I have had a 727 work fine on Friday & not move on Monday. Turned out to be my convertor.

Bucky
I agree with Bucky. If it’s not clicking moving through gears, then it maybe a loose selector shaft arm. Will it come out of park into any gear? My guess is, if you were monkeying around with the KD and it wasn’t connected properly, your 727 is toast. Craig

Brians1970
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brians1970 »

Yes it will come out of park into any gear; there is no resistance selecting any gear out of park at all. Was hoping I could try to force it into a gear just messing with the linkage on the outside to see if it would perhaps catch.
I've been under the assumption that the trans is gone this whole time and will need a rebuild just trying to make sure I didn't miss anything. Also if I get it rebuilt then I don't want to have any linkage that is potentially messed up and burn through the rebuild either.

jeffc57
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: vancouver
State: WA

Post by jeffc57 »

after reading above, what color is the fluid? is it nice and clear red? or is does it have a brown tint to it, or black specks in it- pull the dip stick a put a sample on white paper. pull the pan is the next step, plug filter is also very possible, pull pan and check, if the filter is dark change it.
have someone move the shift arm see it it moves under the truck