Starting Restoration - I have some questions

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Caleb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Starting Restoration - I have some questions

Post by Caleb »

Good morning,

I'll spare y'all the long version of the backstory. 12 years ago I took my perfectly good 1966 D100 (my first vehicle) and did ill-advised and ultimately detrimental things to her. I removed the original 225 Slant Six and A-745 transmission, and replaced them with an LA318 and an A-833 transmission. This did not go well for several reasons, and a few years later the truck was parked at my parents' place.

Here we are now, and I'm about to start undoing what I did. It's going to be a lot of work. The Slant Six and A-745, which were sitting in the bed of the truck for the past ten years, are now with me. I'm pretty squared away on the engine rebuild; I've read Doug Dutra's book cover to cover and I've already made contact with the machine shop I will use to check everything over and machine as necessary. The things I need some input on are as follows:

1. The A-745 transmission needs to be rebuilt, if not replaced. Not only was it sitting out in the elements for a decade, but for some ungodly reason I partially disassembled it before that. No idea why - I was a stupid kid. I'm not proud of having done any of this, but it is what it is. The only source I've found for a rebuild kit is at the following link. I've seen this kit referenced on here before - can anyone attest to its quality? https://www.onlinetransmissionparts.com/K745-p/k745.htm

2. I have no idea where the original bellhousing went. I lot of things got hauled to the metal yard in the past ten years, so I'm assuming that's the case for the bellhousing. The bellhousing we used to marry the LA318 and A-833 is an aluminum one from an early 70's A-Body (I think). Can someone possibly provide a part number an/or a year/application range for the bellhousing I'm looking for? Again, this is for a 1966 D100 Slant Six and A-745. I found this, which says its from a 1967 Dodge pickup with a 225 Slant Six. Does not specify which transmission was on it. Can anyone verify if it is what I'm looking for? https://www.mopartruckparts.com/images2 ... l-$200.jpg

3. This gets worse as we go. While facilitating the unholy matrimony of my pickup with the V8 and four speed transmission, we removed the column shifter assembly. Those parts presumably went to the same place as the bellhousing. I'm not sure part numbers would help me here, since I highly doubt I'll be able to find it anywhere but a junker being parted out. Does anyone have some knowledge on what year ranges and applications are compatible here? From the shifter handle all the way down the steering column, to the transmission.

4. In order to get the A-833 to fit, we had to cut a big chunk of the transmission crossmember out, right where the transmission mount goes. I know there isn't a part number for that, but does anyone know off-hand some year and model ranges that would fit it? I'm sure I'll just have to track down a pickup that's being parted out.

5. Motor and transmission mounts. When I search for them, a lot of options come up. I can't remember what the original motor and transmission mounts looked like. If anyone can post a photo of them, that would be great. Sources and/or part numbers would be much appreciated.

6. Surprisingly (to me, anyway) I'm having trouble finding a clutch kit online. I'm almost certain that when my dad and I originally got the pickup running (this is when it was still in its factory 225 / A-745 configuration), we were able to get a complete clutch kit at Autozone. I'm not seeing one now, and the only one I've found is this one. Can anyone provide a different option? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sbb- ... refilter=1

7. Drive shaft. I guess it went with the bellhousing and shifter linkage. Again, part numbers and/or year/application ranges would be helpful. Having one made is certainly an option, but if I found one from a part-out that will fit that would be easier.

8. Exhaust manifold - It has a huge crack (like 90% of the Slant 6's, it seems). Autozone has a Dorman replacement for $343, assuming I don't miraculously find a used one that is intact, is that about what I'm looking at price-wise?

9. Back to the engine rebuild, briefly. Like I said, I'm following Doug Dutra's excellent guidance in that department. I won't know what all I need until I get into it, as far as the crankshaft, camshaft, pistons, and valvetrain are concerned. Dutra did recommend a JP Performance or Roll Master timing chain, which I will go with. Can anyone recommend any particular overhaul kits (rings, seals, bearings, etc.), or any I should steer clear of? For what it's worth, I'm not looking to 'hot up' this Slant Six. Factory configuration is perfectly fine with me.

I know I'm asking a lot of you guys, and I really appreciate any guidance you can provide!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Starting Restoration - I have some questions

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I've got the bellhousing and probably a tranny crossmember, but they are riveted to the frame and spring bracket, so that won't be a fun fix. Baffled that you want to spend all that money and effort to go back to a 6 and tree 3. Would be so much simpler to stick with a 318 and a 435. I have the flywheel and clutch parts for a 318 also.

Caleb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Caleb »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:56 am
I've got the bellhousing and probably a tranny crossmember, but they are riveted to the frame and spring bracket, so that won't be a fun fix. Baffled that you want to spend all that money and effort to go back to a 6 and tree 3. Would be so much simpler to stick with a 318 and a 435. I have the flywheel and clutch parts for a 318 also.
Yeah...I haven't decided how good of an idea this is yet. It'd definitely be easier to move forward with what I've got. It's more the sentimental value of having it back in its original form I guess. The LA318 that is currently residing in it has some issues in the rotating assembly that were causing a knock - once I get it and the four speed transmission out I'll go through it and see what the deal is. The eventual goal on that end is to find a late 60s to early 70s A-Body to home them in.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Caleb,
In order of your points above......

#1: Question. Did you cut out the original hydraulic bell housing cross member?
Also, I'm with Terry on the NP 435 tranny. Its a much better way to proceed.

#2: The hydraulic bell housing you need was used from '61-'68 and they're not
too difficult to find. I believe you should look for one from a '62-'68 truck, as
the '61 bell has a different part number [not sure why.... they're the same as
far as I know... :thinking ]

#3: Go with the NP 435 and you won't need to deal with the tree shift column.

#4: Are you referring to the Bell Housing cross member here?? :thinking
Maybe you can post up photos of what's been done underneath for us all to
look at.... :idea :2cents [Re: Question #1]

#5: Put an ad in the Parts Wanted Section. Someone will help you.

#6: Source #1 would be Bud's .... https://www.61-71dodgesweptlineparts.com/
Bud Thorp will be able to set you up with these parts and probably other items too....
Secondly, these folks could help www.hrclutch.com

#7: Put an ad in the Parts Wanted Section once you've determined your set up.

#8: Put an ad in the Parts Wanted Section. Someone on this site can probably
set you up with a good one. Some have had theirs surface planed to prevent
cracking during the installation. :2cents

#9: I think that any decent rebuild kit from your local auto parts outlet [NAPA?]
will suffice.

John

Caleb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Caleb »

John,

Thanks for the info! I will take it under advisement y'all's recommendation regarding the transmission. I know my current plan could certainly be described as a really difficult way that will ultimately provide less than stellar performance. I do have to ask - what is the difference between the NP435 and the A833? I believe it's an 833 that I have in it right now. Stampings are 'C95639U' and '95658-C'.

Unfortunately I can't put up photos right now - the truck is at my parents' place a few hours away. I brought the Slant Six and the original transmission home with me this weekend. Thank you for asking me to clarify - you're right, it's the bell housing crossmember I was referring to. I couldn't remember how the original drivetrain interfaced with the frame, but after looking at some photos my memory was refreshed. We didn't totally remove it - just cut a u-shaped channel on the top of it in order for the transmission to fit. We put in a uh...homemade crossmember behind it, for the transmission mount on the A833 to attach to.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Caleb wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:04 pm
John,

Thanks for the info! I will take it under advisement y'all's recommendation regarding the transmission. I know my current plan could certainly be described as a really difficult way that will ultimately provide less than stellar performance. I do have to ask - what is the difference between the NP435 and the A833? I believe it's an 833 that I have in it right now. Stampings are 'C95639U' and '95658-C'.

Unfortunately I can't put up photos right now - the truck is at my parents' place a few hours away. I brought the Slant Six and the original transmission home with me this weekend. Thank you for asking me to clarify - you're right, it's the bell housing crossmember I was referring to. I couldn't remember how the original drivetrain interfaced with the frame, but after looking at some photos my memory was refreshed. We didn't totally remove it - just cut a u-shaped channel on the top of it in order for the transmission to fit. We put in a uh...homemade crossmember behind it, for the transmission mount on the A833 to attach to.
The NP 435 is a much more stout 4 spd tranny with either a 6.68 or a 4.56 first
gear. It has synchro into 2nd gear for down shifts. You would need the 10 spline
version for your truck which is compatible with the hydraulic clutch system.

If you removed part, but not all, of the bell housing cross member, I'd say that
you can just use it as is..... maybe weld in a reinforcement plate where you removed
the metal. :idea The Sweptline NP 435 for hydraulic [pre-1969] clutch set ups does
not have its own cross member. It simply bolts to the bell housing. The bell housing
is attached to its cross member using the rubber insulators. If you have a drive shaft
shop, they could probably set you up with a drive shaft. Long wheelbase [128"] Sweptlines
of that year require a two shaft / carrier bearing configuration. :study

John