Front Sump Pan Clearance

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Front Sump Pan Clearance

Post by Series1Utiline »

I've searched the site as well as the web and find very, very few pictures of the front sump pans used on Sweptlines with 318 Poly or A series engines. Even more rare are pictures showing the pan from the underside of the trucks. What I'd like to clarify is the horizontal distance from the rear edge of the sump (at the bottom of the sump) to the edge of the dropped axle. If you can reference any pictures that may be even more helpful.

Thank you.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Front Sump Pan Clearance

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

100, 200, D, W, or?

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:44 pm
100, 200, D, W, or?
And....what ya trying to figure out. Spill the beans and maybe we can help. Craig

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Series1Utiline »

D100 primarily. I assumed all of the 2WD trucks would have a similar engine position relative to the axle but apparently that's not the case? Yes, just trying to understand how much clearance there is with the factory set up using that pan. I'd like to switch to the correct pan (mine has a passenger car center sump) but I also have a slight engine set back too.

Thanks

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Series1Utiline »

Never mind. I'll figure it out on my own.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

Since you have a slight setback, could you just use a $80 rear sump truck pan? I'm not sure what the concern is because other than the vertical movement, the horizontal distance shouldn't matter if there is clearance. When I get ready for another modification to my truck, I'm going to do my best top fit a rear sump since they're more conducive to hot rodding. I have a 440 and Sid's so measuring probably wouldn't help you. Craig

Series1Utiline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Series1Utiline »

Thanks Craig. I also have a 3" additional drop to my axle. The rear sump wouldn't work given the sump's location relative to the axle and, the sump is deeper than the center sump pan I have now. The original question on horizontal distance is for a point of reference but it does matter. If for example the sump on a stock truck clears the axle by an inch, I'd avoid using it since I have about a 1" engine set back compared to stock. Sure I can modify one if I need to but just considering off the shelf options currently.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

Got it I see what you’re trying to figure out. You may just get the welder out and cut a pan. A buddy of mine had a 440 rear sump with a SIDS. Not sure what clearance he’d had though. He is deceased now. Certainly “hint hint” someone could take five minutes and measure for you. Craig