225 to 318 engine swap

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
varbucci
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oakdale
State: NY

225 to 318 engine swap

Post by varbucci »

I'm putting a 318LA where a 225 was in my 68 D100. I understand I have to change the motor mount brackets. Does anyone know if the perch is the same on the chassis for the 225 and the 318 where the motor mounts sit?

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Re: 225 to 318 engine swap

Post by Jim100 »

Pretty sure they are.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

varbucci wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:28 am
I'm putting a 318LA where a 225 was in my 68 D100. I understand I have to change the motor mount brackets. Does anyone know if the perch is the same on the chassis for the 225 and the 318 where the motor mounts sit?
Frame brackets are the same. You need the correct engine brackets
and insulators. Insulators can be sourced through any major auto supply
outlet.

If you have a manual tranny..... you'll need the correct hydraulic clutch
flywheel along with the correct size clutch components.

John :study

varbucci
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by varbucci »

Thanks Friend. I appreciate the response. I believe strongly the flywheel is appropriate for my hydro clutch. However, is there any way to check the flywheel to be sure? I have the insulators; I'm having difficultly finding the brackets. I'll keep searching!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

varbucci wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:47 am
Thanks Friend. I appreciate the response. I believe strongly the flywheel is appropriate for my hydro clutch. However, is there any way to check the flywheel to be sure? I have the insulators; I'm having difficultly finding the brackets. I'll keep searching!
If the flywheel that you believe is appropriate is the flywheel that is currently
on the Slant 6, then you will need the correct flywheel for the A/LA series V-8
small block for the hydraulic clutch. :study

John

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I have the engine brackets, flywheel and clutch stuff.

varbucci
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by varbucci »

Hi Hobbcoble,

I acquired the flywheel and a bellhousing from someone on facebook market place. The flywheel had an 11" clutch on it. He claimed the came from mid 60s D100 with a 318 (no mention of LA or Poly). I'm having the flywheel balanced and cut. The both fit perfectly on the crank of my LA. There is room for the bell to slide between the flywheel and block. The flywheel has approx 174 teeth. It seems to be right. I wish there was some further way to know for sure. With out that, I guess I'll find out.

I'm understand the slant 6 flywheel wouldn't work. But the slant 6 bell housing looks the same as the new one I just acquired for the LA

Thanks, Vincent

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The bell is the same for both engines. If the starter engages the flywheel that bolts to the crank, then all is fine.

varbucci
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by varbucci »

Makes sense. Thanks

varbucci
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by varbucci »

The latest issue with the swap is i put a new water pump on and now the water pump pulley doesnt line up with the other pulleys. I assume the pump shaft was longer on the orig water pump. I cant seem to locate a water pump with a longer shaft. All b body, a body and truck water pumps seem to have the same shaft length. Any ideas??

tparkersl
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sacramento
State: CA

Post by tparkersl »

Did you get this worked out? I have a 340 which is VERY similar to the 318 and indeed has the old 318 water pump, alt, power steering etc. I will be putting these pieces back on in the next week or so. I can take some pics to share. Everything should line up very easily. Can you explain what you have that isn't lining up? Alt, crank and fan? anything else?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

varbucci wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:53 pm
The latest issue with the swap is i put a new water pump on and now the water pump pulley doesnt line up with the other pulleys. I assume the pump shaft was longer on the orig water pump. I cant seem to locate a water pump with a longer shaft. All b body, a body and truck water pumps seem to have the same shaft length. Any ideas??

Two water pump styles. Cast Iron and Aluminiumn. Cast Iron up to 69/70 ish and Aluminiumn for 70 ish and up. Correct water pump to work with whatever pulleys you are using.
:thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.