Carb issues

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Winter Park
State: FL

Carb issues

Post by Volksnut »

I'm finding so many things wrong with this truck which is weird, which by the way were gone through already by the previous owner. So...this issue is with the carb, a Stromberg I believe, it's hard to see...had to take a picture. I'm getting no accelerator pump shot, it's been rebuilt too...yeah right. Doesn't this one have a piece of leather wrapped around the pump?, Also when the plunger goes down it's a little sloppy side to side. Shouldn't it be tight? And another thing is the return spring on the accelerator....You need both feet to push that thing down. What should it have? One coming from the front? Oh and lets not talk about the choke cable...it's doesn't work like that.
Attachments
returnspring.jpeg
carb2barrel.jpeg
2barrelcarb.jpeg

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Carb issues

Post by Wildergarten »

In my experience, the Stromberg is a super reliable carb as long as you give it clean fuel. Heavy springs on the throttle shaft can eat the aluminum throttle plate, so that's definitely a bad sign; it shouldn't need one with a manual. The accel pump shaft is sloppy, but it's a leather dome with a spring inside against the pump bore. So unless that's torn up, I'd look at crud in the ball check valve feeding it if it doesn't work. How does the filter look?
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

There's a filter before the pump that looked like @#%, filter was loose in the canister. I replaced that one, the other after the pump looks okay. He said he cleaned the tank....?

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Volksnut wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:11 am
There's a filter before the pump that looked like @#%, filter was loose in the canister. I replaced that one, the other after the pump looks okay. He said he cleaned the tank....?
Oh. Sorry to hear that. Work by a person who'd leave a crappy filter in place can't be trusted. If the accelerator pump doesn't work, I'd count on rebuilding the carb. The good news is that it's an easy one.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Volksnut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Volksnut »

So here's what I found...it appears he didn't hook the accelerator pump clip up right as the arm would just slide down the shaft not pumping anything? Or maybe I'm not thinking right?...., it clearly worked when I pushed it down with my finger. And I thought I had a rebuild kit as I was given 3 with the truck, 2 were old used kits, one new but for a later Dodge carb :( and the throttle shaft has a little wobble but I think it will be alright, it idled good, but I could just buy a rebuilt carb from RockAuto, by the time I purchase a kit and a jet gauge it's seems like a pretty good deal.....Hum.
Attachments
20200909_171200.jpeg
20200909_171208.jpeg

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Volksnut wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:12 pm
...the throttle shaft has a little wobble but I think it will be alright,
A loose throttle shaft can produce an idle that doesn't repeat well, depending upon how the plates seat each time it returns. Don't know how much better (or not) a rebuild would be.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

seen remains worse then what came off
just some guy getting $12 an hr to build as many as he can
could have a machine shop make bushings for it