Broken Engine Stud

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
irontwist
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pendleton
State: OR

Broken Engine Stud

Post by irontwist »

So as the old saying goes, one thing leads to another. Was working the 318 Poly removing the exhaust manifold on the 66 W-200 when engine bolt broke in the cylinder head. When I drilled the stud to use a extractor the bit went through the end of the stud and water came out. Is this what should have happened? Those course/fine engine studs are only 1/2" long going into the head. I used a 5/32'" drill, the size specified for the extractor and did not go deep when I drilled. This was the first stud from the front of the block on the on the right side that broke.
I checked another pair of heads from a 305E V-6 1967 GMC and noticed from sticking a piece of copper wire into that same front hole that the wire passed through what think is a combination water jacket/cylinder head bolt passage. I am assuming this is why the water came out when I drilled?
Is it the shoulder in the middle of the engine head stud that keeps the water in head and is it recommended that I use some red silicone to make the thread seal?
On the 305E heads all the other bores had bottoms 7/8" deep except the front ones. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Broken Engine Stud

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

U got it. Bolt hole is into the water jacket. That's why they like to rust solid and break on removal. Silicone helps, but it also breaks down over time. I replace all the exh manifold bolts with grade 8's. Good to use anti-seize on them too.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Broken Engine Stud

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:09 pm
U got it. Bolt hole is into the water jacket. That's why they like to rust solid and break on removal. Silicone helps, but it also breaks down over time. I replace all the exh manifold bolts with grade 8's. Good to use anti-seize on them too.
I'm for blue loctite on a new stud and the antiseize on a bronze nut (Dorman still makes them). After extracting, tap the hole clean and blow dry.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org