Gas Pedal and Linkage Change

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
bigfick
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnstown
State: CO

Gas Pedal and Linkage Change

Post by bigfick »

I’m in the process of putting my 62 Ute back together. I put at 440 with 727 in her, and am in the process of putting throttle cable gas pedal back in. The stock design won’t work and I was hoping you guys could help.
Will a 70-71 pedal and cable bolt right up? Any modifications? Any other ideas? I was wanting to get away from the floor mounted pedal to the firewall mounted design.
I had an extra pedal from my 70 duster and it seems to be a little short unless I fabricated a mount to hold it couple inches from the firewall.

Thanks for looking and helping me out here.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: Gas Pedal and Linkage Change

Post by Wildergarten »

bigfick wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:19 am
Will a 70-71 pedal and cable bolt right up? Any modifications? Any other ideas? I was wanting to get away from the floor mounted pedal to the firewall mounted design.
I put a cable linkage into my old '69 using a Campagnolo bicycle brake cable. Don't remember what I did about the pedal, but it was made for one (had that funny keyhole notch in the end of the rod to hold the lug on the end of the cable). It might have come from my old '64 Dart. For the termination at the carb, I cross drilled a 5/16 bolt and squeezed the cable between washers. Lasted 30 years. I MAY still have it. IF I do and you want it, I'll send it for the price of shipping in a flat rate box. Probably about $15. Probably needs a new core cable.

Might be quicker and easier to make one.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

bigfick wrote:
I’m in the process of putting my 62 Ute back together. I put at 440 with 727 in her, and am in the process of putting throttle cable gas pedal back in. The stock design won’t work and I was hoping you guys could help.
I had an extra pedal from my 70 duster and it seems to be a little short unless I fabricated a mount to hold it couple inches from the firewall.

The '69-'71 Sweptline pedal isn't a direct bolt in. I think you could make it work though. :Thumbsup

John

bigfick
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bigfick »

I appreciate all the feedback, I think I will attempt making the 69-71 pedal work. I would imagine the pedal length is a bit longer than the Duster pedal I have, they look very similar. Will post a pic if I can get it. Thanks again, Jason

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

bigfick wrote:

Not sure why yours won't work. The rod setup works perfectly in my 64/440. I did however use a Lokar kD. Like already suggested, use the later cable style :2cents

bigfick
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bigfick »

I might have to revisit the original pedal if I can find it. I could have sworn it was resting on my valve cover last time I had it sitting there. Thanks for the input, I like the idea of having a cable if I could go that route.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

bigfick wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:58 pm
I like the idea of having a cable if I could go that route.
It gives a much better feel than the rod linkage, but the trick is that the kickdown has to tie into the carb linkage. Being a fan of manual transmissions, I haven't done that one.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

problem with cable compared to rods is reliabily. cables fail, rods don't. on custom builds I will attempt to go rods if I have the room. lasts forever.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Kaegi wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:28 am
problem with cable compared to rods is reliabily. cables fail, rods don't. on custom builds I will attempt to go rods if I have the room. lasts forever.

Hmm, Cables fail. Wonder when the cable conversion on my 66 is going to fail. Been in truck since 1983. Linkage was crap due to flexing and surging when off road. Never liked linkage throttle. :thinking :thinking Also converted my 70 D 500 to cable due to carb and engine change.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Kaegi wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:28 am
Forever? I've seen cheapo factory automotive cables fail. I'd bet if any you've seen fail weren't Campagnolo stainless bicycle brake cables in nylon-lined sheaths. I've had one work for 30 years with no problem and that was a crappy installation too. Had another car with one and put 187,000 miles on it without failure. Rod linkages get sloppy, the clips rust and bind too if not lubed. So really this boils down to personal preferences as long as good system components are installed and maintained.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer

Post by marklein »

The issue with rod style linkage is it is part of the cab, the engine is mounted on rubber mounts and move differently than the cab. A good cable always feels better than linkage to me. I am using a 360 magnum and the amount of travel required for the throttle body is a lot. There's about 6 inches of throw above the pivot pin on the magnum pedal. This will be interesting. I have seen 2 different ways that the 69-up pedals are mounted, I have one that has 2 bolts in the bracket for the pedal, another that has an extra bracket bolted to the main bracket. To use the later cable, you'll need to cut a hole in your firewall, then make it square for the cable to snap into.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

marklein wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:12 pm
The issue with rod style linkage is it is part of the cab, the engine is mounted on rubber mounts and move differently than the cab. A good cable always feels better than linkage to me. I am using a 360 magnum and the amount of travel required for the throttle body is a lot. There's about 6 inches of throw above the pivot pin on the magnum pedal. This will be interesting. I have seen 2 different ways that the 69-up pedals are mounted, I have one that has 2 bolts in the bracket for the pedal, another that has an extra bracket bolted to the main bracket. To use the later cable, you'll need to cut a hole in your firewall, then make it square for the cable to snap into.

I used a Dodge Dart A body pedal assembly in my 66, Cable attached to pedal assembly instead of a square hole in firewall. It no longer has the pedal pivoted from floor. Pedal is hinged on arm instead. In my 70 D500 I used a 70's Chrysler C Body pedal assembly allowing me to use the original hinged Swept style pedal.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

bigfick
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bigfick »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:40 pm
marklein wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:12 pm

I used a Dodge Dart A body pedal assembly in my 66, Cable attached to pedal assembly instead of a square hole in firewall. It no longer has the pedal pivoted from floor. Pedal is hinged on arm instead. In my 70 D500 I used a 70's Chrysler C Body pedal assembly allowing me to use the original hinged Swept style pedal.
If you have any pictures it would be very helpful...the pedal project got a little sidetracked for me. I've been working on my fenders, finally got them painted and ready to mount to the cab. I felt the A body pedal was too short, but would love to see how you made it work. Thanks, Jason

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

I used the short pedal. Eliminated the Original floor mounted pedal in my 66. I can send a few pics. Message me your e mail address. :salut :salut

Red383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Loramie
State: OH

Post by Red383 »

Post the picture here for all of us to see.

Please.

Aaron
1965 Dodge D200, 318 4-speed converted to 4x4 with NV4500 trans

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Red383 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:11 pm
Post the picture here for all of us to see.

Please.

Aaron
66 W100
php24n6kAPM(1).jpg
php24n6kAPM(1).jpg (17.45 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
70 D 500. Pedal is flipped back for picture. I put a hinge into it due to old hard rubber.
70 D 500 gas pedal.jpg
70 D 500 gas pedal.jpg (17.01 KiB) Viewed 1368 times

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:40 pm
I used a Dodge Dart A body pedal assembly in my 66, Cable attached to pedal assembly instead of a square hole in firewall. It no longer has the pedal pivoted from floor. Pedal is hinged on arm instead.
I can't help much as I don't know what pedal assembly was used by the prior-prior owner, but it does look like the a-body style, but reversed. I'm using the metal linkage. It's janky as you can see here as it rests on top of the wiring. I had to move the bolt holes over as the pedal was too close to the brake pedal for my wide feet.

I have experience with the cables and can vouch that when you have it set up properly it is very nice. Go with the name brand vs. trying to save a few bucks. As long as the cable is routed freely and lubricated, they are reliable.

Assuming I do upgrade my engine, I will go with a cable at that point. For now my setup is livable.
pedalassembly.jpg

Red383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Loramie
State: OH

Post by Red383 »

Thanks Kim.

What is the benefit of having a floor mounted pedal versus the firewall mounted pedal? Or vis versa. Is there a benefit to one or the other or is it preference?

Aaron
1965 Dodge D200, 318 4-speed converted to 4x4 with NV4500 trans

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Red383 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 am
What is the benefit of having a floor mounted pedal versus the firewall mounted pedal? Or vis versa.
In vehicles with carpating, I prefer the firewall mount, as it doesn't need a slot or hole in the carpet. With rubber mats, it might be different, but I don't know. I'm hoping someday somebody makes one for this truck. One might be able to bolt through the mat, in which case it's a push in principle. I just prefer the cable linkage, so it may be the firewall mount for me.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Red383 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 am
Thanks Kim.

What is the benefit of having a floor mounted pedal versus the firewall mounted pedal? Or vis versa. Is there a benefit to one or the other or is it preference?

Aaron
When I installed the pedal assembly in the 66 W100 back in 1983 it did not have the floor mounted pedal. I had the cable parts laying around and chose to use it. Never missed the floor mounted pedal. Carpet was installed a year or so later.
In my 70 D500 it still had original pedal so the Chrysler C Body gas pedal assembly worked well with original pedal.