Proform HEI conversion...

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Proform HEI conversion...

Post by WD »

Anyone else gone this route? A/LA distributor shaft, GM 350 cap/rotor/coil/vacuum advance.

Tired of failed points, on fire ballast resistors, failed/flaming starter relay. That’s why, 8 years ago to the week, it was parked in the barn lot and left to its fate.

Before any purists go off and keel over from the stress... the truck is NOT (even remotely) worth a factory restoration. So, we’re going to have some fun, get it back in safe operable condition, shoot it with tractor paint, and just cruise. I actually prefer the “scratch and dent” section of vehicle events.

Back on track, as I figure this swap out, I’ll try to keep this thread updated.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Re: Proform HEI conversion...

Post by earlymopar »

I haven't heard good things about Proform products but there are guys using them successfully. A cheaper route and one that is much better space-wise (the traditional HEI distributor body and cap are huge) is to use a stock Mopar electronic ignition distributor and add an HEI module (either to the underside of the distributor or on the firewall). You will likely need to change your ignition coil (depending on what you have now). I did this and there are many others who have and it works well. There is also the Pertronix module that can be used to retro-fit your OEM points distributor but while good, they are a bit more $.

- EM

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Re: Proform HEI conversion...

Post by WD »

Keeping 2 points dizzies as back up units. May convert one of them to Pertronix.

The HEI unit is inexpensive. Figured I’d give it a try before spending a lot more to convert my flathead 6 truck.

If it fits, it fits. If it doesn’t fit it will look good on a shelf in the garage. Either way, I’m good with it.

Next step? Pull the plugs and spray oil the cylinders. Pull the valve covers and 90wt the rocker shaft assemblies. Pull the intake and 90wt the cam, lifters and pushrods. I want a film of “something” on those parts before I take a breaker bar to the crank bolt and turn it through a few revolutions.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...