A727 Trans Service Hack

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
DodgeJerk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Buckeye
State: AZ

A727 Trans Service Hack

Post by DodgeJerk »

Adjusted the A727, installed new filter and was getting frustrated at the gasket. Found a simple hack to make it quick and easy.

The new gasket is rubber and slightly deformed from being in the bad, we’ve all been there. After cleaning the pan of all fluid residue I used blue masking tape to tape the gasket in place and then flipped it upside down and put some books on it to help it take its proper shape. Let it sit for about 3 hours like this.

Next I put the screw in the pan using the gasket to hold them in place and removed the tape. The tape allowed the gasket to return close to its normal shape and the screws held it in place while I attached the pan to the trans. Yes, it added a bit of time to the job, which I used to do other things but the frustration was completely removed from dealing with a gasket that hates to stay in place. The blue tape leaves no residue so no risk to the trans after the tape is removed.

Hope it helps others. FYI this will work with the trans in or out of the truck, just remember to remove ALL the tape before installing pan.

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Re: A727 Trans Service Hack

Post by pismopowerwagon »

I always throw the rubber one that comes in the filter in the trash. Order a cork one.

Good tips there if that's all you have is rubber :goodpost
Andy

moparbay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rapid City
State: SD

Re: A727 Trans Service Hack

Post by moparbay »

The also make a re-usable trans pan gasket that came on some of the A-518 and 46/47/48 RE/RH transmissions that fit the 727 transmission. You can get them from the dealer or aftermarket.
moparbay

Ole "Blue" 68 D100 Adventurer
65 W100
67 D400
67 W100 (in pieces)
69 D100 converted to 4x4 (SOLD)