440 Swap started. I have a few questions.

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

440 Swap started. I have a few questions.

Post by my5thmopar »

I'll update my build thread too. Currently 64 D100 /6 with A745. I got the 440/727 fired up today on the makeshift stand. No smoke and pretty smooth idle with a little lope. I put my scope in the spark plug hole and didn't see any marks on the flat top pistons. It must have low run time because there is still some shine on the piston. Not sure what was done inside. A member here I got it from, found some papers from the previous owner. It has a Edelbrock Performance kit with a 2192 cam, intake and carb. Now a few questions to see if I have everything. I believe the engine was from a 77-78 dodge pickup. I need to run the numbers again. I did read through multiple posts and some stuff still fuzzy.

What rubber engine mounts do I need? Do I just buy the 1977? The parts stores carry some for different years. 2 bolt and 3 bolt. I also have a set of the 3 inch rubber ones, that I think came off an early truck.

Where can I get manifold flanges?

Look at my list and see if I missed something. I'll figure out the column, shifter and driveline later. Just trying to get it in the truck.
I have:
Rubber trans mount
Metal Trans crossmember
Metal Engine mounts from 77 big block truck.
Front sump and correct manifolds.
Spanner I can make.
Small trans mount for rubber isolator. I can make. Anything else? Thanks Craig

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: 440 Swap started. I have a few questions.

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Time

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

My experience with the stock motor mounts has not been favorable. Big block or small, if placed under heavy loads, the tension side would fail in only a few years. I don't know if there are polyurethane engine mounts, but I'd get them in your situation if I could. I just went to Summit Racing to take a look and didn't see any. There's a company out there (Prothane) that looks like they might be goadable into making some. These mounts were used on big block and small, both cars and trucks. So there should be a market for them. If not, I'd bet Imperial could be talked into it.

I'm sure the polyurethane Imperial Services bell housing mounts help, but that only applies to manual trans applications. I have bought bell-housing mounts from them, which appeared well made but the studs were too short. Steve did promise to fix that, but I have seen other complaints. If you can get the parts from Steele Rubber Products https://www.steelerubber.com/, they use rubber, but they'll be of good quality. It looks lik they make transmission mounts.

I have seen a setup on a Ch3vy once that had a swaged cable to limit the extension of the passenger side mount under heavy torque. Seemed like a good idea in your application.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

sdenty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Buena Park

Post by sdenty »

I did a 440/727 swap in my 67 d100,from a 318 3spd manual.Used stock motor mounts and isolators,had to get a correct trans crossmember(bolted in)and used stock trans mount(was still dealer available).Used center sump(cleared the straight axle,barely).I used a 69 Colum for shifting and used the original link for the throttle.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

sdenty wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 pm
I did a 440/727 swap in my 67 d100,from a 318 3spd manual.Used stock motor mounts and isolators,had to get a correct trans crossmember(bolted in)and used stock trans mount(was still dealer available).Used center sump(cleared the straight axle,barely).I used a 69 Colum for shifting and used the original link for the throttle.
Ordered some for a 70 D200 with 383 today. I'll find out if they work.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

Well the 70 BB mounts will not fit the early frame. I asked this specific question and never got an answer. I have confirmed that the 61-64 frames are open and require the use the large square isolator. It bolts from side to side spanning the open. The 70 BB isolator isn't wide enough to be turned and span the gap. It would not be prudent to only use one side of the frame mount. I don't know what late 65-66 used but, the 67-71 has a flat 2 hole plate that is boxed in. It accepts the newer 2 bolt rubber isolator bolted vertically. I'm not about to use 55 year old rubber isolator on a 440. My plan is to weld and/or bolt a 3/16-1/4 plate across the span and use the 70 BB isolators. I'm sure someone else has put a 440 in an early frame and probably came up with another solution but, after hours of searching I couldn't find it. I'm posting this so, that the next guy wont have to go through what I have. :2cents
Attachments
IMG_0715.jpg

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

Surely there is a picture or pictures of an early Sweptline with a 426 that might show what the factory did? Have you looked through the "members build threads" section?

- EM

Toten
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Medford

Post by Toten »

Im new to the sweptline scene but i got the frame to motor mounts. I just needed engine mounts. Not the big rubber insulators with 4 studs coming through. got them with a whole package deal to swap a 383 into a 63 d100. Which i used for my 440 swap with my 67.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190219-054457_Facebook.jpg

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

The Insulators in the photo above are correct.

In regards to the mount brackets, what do you
have for them? Post a pic and we can confirm.

John

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Hobcobble wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am
Never seen those before. Are they more substantial than the two-bottom-stud flavor on my '67-'69? I like that they are better protected from oil and look like there is better support for a hard stop.

Can one still get them new? As an aside, has anybody here played with the two-part polyurethanes one can get in quarts to cast their own?

Amazon has this: https://www.amazon.com/Polytek-75-60-Li ... =1-1-fkmr2 Getting the steel clean enough should be no problem. I'm thinking the trick would be mixing it without entraining air.

They also have a silicone mold making compound, but I doubt one would need it for motor mounts.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Wildergarten wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:34 pm
Hobcobble wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 am
Never seen those before. Are they more substantial than the two-bottom-stud flavor on my '67-'69? I like that they are better protected from oil and look like there is better support for a hard stop.

Can one still get them new? As an aside, has anybody here played with the two-part polyurethanes one can get in quarts to cast their own?

Amazon has this: https://www.amazon.com/Polytek-75-60-Li ... =1-1-fkmr2 Getting the steel clean enough should be no problem. I'm thinking the trick would be mixing it without entraining air.

They also have a silicone mold making compound, but I doubt one would need it for motor mounts.
These insulators will not be compatible with your frame mount brackets. They're designed for
the early '65 and older Sweptline frames. I don't know of anyone making these new.

John

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Wildergarten »

Hobcobble wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:36 pm
These insulators will not be compatible with your frame mount brackets. They're designed for
the early '65 and older Sweptline frames.
That was understood. I'm that skeptical of the later mount design. Rarely have I seen one on the tension side of any junkyard vehicle that wasn't trashed.
Hobcobble wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:36 pm
I don't know of anyone making these new.
What I was expecting to hear. I may be trying that polyurethane on the transfer case mounting isolators to see how that goes. The forces are all compressive there, being a properly designed torque reaction mounting system. Engine mounts are different in that they not only deal with the torque but restrain the axial mass of the driveline in shear while stopping, although the hydraulic clutch bell housing mounts on the <'69 trucks do help there too.

Thanks,

Mark
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

I found 1 pic of a HPP truck but it looked like a custom mounts.

I have never seen a 4 bolt mount like that.

I have a set of early and late mounts. The engine is setting on the early mounts now but, I think it’s too high and I don’t trust the 55 year old rubber. Pix attached.

I think I’ll have to fabricate something because a big block wasn’t around in 64. 440/383. Not the 413 etc.
59845220-A8C8-4A68-BF72-1EA5D35CCE95.jpeg
59845220-A8C8-4A68-BF72-1EA5D35CCE95.jpeg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 644 times

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

my5thmopar wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:34 am

I think I’ll have to fabricate something because a big block wasn’t around in 64. 440/383. Not the 413 etc.
The 426 trucks had to use something from the factory. The larger D series trucks had the 361 as an option, although the frames are different.

You can see what Ben used on his truck here:
http://cssregistry.com/css/64d100Resto/ ... 006-7.html

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

Hard to tell from your photo. It appears to be the same.

Here's my mount. And now that I look at it, may be why things vibrate so much...

I've been meaning to check the angles on the drivetrain but haven't gotten there yet. But I have things running well enough now that that really needs to be my next step. That and I need to get a day off work so I can pull the driveshaft and get the u-joints replaced.

I believe? the owner prior to Terry had access to a late big block Sweptline based on some 68-69 parts I've found on the truck. I don't know though.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

soopernaut wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:59 pm
my5thmopar wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:34 am

The 426 trucks had to use something from the factory. The larger D series trucks had the 361 as an option, although the frames are different.

You can see what Ben used on his truck here:
http://cssregistry.com/css/64d100Resto/ ... 006-7.html
Yes I looked at his thread but, I thought they were some kinda custom mount. Gives me some ideas though. Thanks

Yes Conrad they are the same and that's why I thought I might use the early mounts. I looked through the link you sent several weeks ago,

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg

Post by earlymopar »

The 426 came out in 1963 and is an RB block just like the 413, 440 and the RB version of the 383.

- EM

"I think I’ll have to fabricate something because a big block wasn’t around in 64. 440/383. Not the 413 etc. "

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by my5thmopar »

earlymopar wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:02 am
The 426 came out in 1963 and is an RB block just like the 413, 440 and the RB version of the 383.

- EM

"I think I’ll have to fabricate something because a big block wasn’t around in 64. 440/383. Not the 413 etc. "
Ok. I didn't realize that the 426 was an RB. Never seen mounts like the link soopernaut posted. It think it would be almost impossible to find the large L brackets for a 413 RB that Ben has. The mounts and isolators can be found easily online for the later 67-71 frames. Maybe I need to look around for early 61-64 big block car stuff. It would be easier to find something to buy but, I'm not going to sweat it and I'm just going to make adapters for the 70 440 isolators I have.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Ben's brackets appear to be custom made for his install.
I had a 63 D200 crew with a 413 and it simply had the mounts shown above in this thread. Nothing special about it.
Still have the 413. The right front fender off it is painted black and on Ben's truck now.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by Conrad »

Sorry that you're running into this. Tim Horton (Welder Series) has a Sweptline truck. Here's a 'mount kit' he sells with install pictures that may be useful for providing ideas: https://www.welderseries.com/Early-Hemi ... -p87722663