Holley sniper efi

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
manderson17
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bluffton
State: IN

Holley sniper efi

Post by manderson17 »

Planning on getting one this spring to run on 383. Just wondering if anyone has ran one before and wondering how you like it.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Re: Holley sniper efi

Post by Conrad »

From what I’ve read and watched videos on, a carb doesn’t necessarily care about engine health, EFI-O2-ECU setup gets a bit confused unless you manual tune it. Saw one guy’s video who could barely get his 383 cold started. It would be best on a healthy or rebuilt if that’s what you have. Just from what I’ve read/seen though.

Holley released their Quadrajet EFI version at SEMA but not sure why so small. Not enough CFM for a big block in my opinion.
Last edited by Conrad on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manderson17
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bluffton
State: IN

Post by manderson17 »

My motor has not been rebuilt. So your opinion would be to throw carb on it instead? If so what combo is recommended? My truck has a 4spd. Right now it has single exhaust but going to switch to shortie headers and side pipe exhaust. Yes odd combo for a truck but if I could upload picture I'd explain why

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

In my experience the cheapest are the Edelbrock Performer - plenty of rebuild and upgrade parts. You will need to use a fuel pressure reg like the Holley to keep it at 4.5-5 psi or it will run rich. If you drive every day, a Holley vacuum secondary is a decent choice. It seems to me the Holley needs more tuning attention, and you risk a stuck float needle if you let the gas varnish up. You can get either on eBay plus parts for cheap. I just sold a Eddy 650 and rebuild kit for $99.

Newer carb tech has been coming out but mostly aimed at the small block crowd.ie the Edelbrock AVS2 with primary diffuser. I assume you want decent performance and be in the +700 cfm territory. But you could daily drive with 600 cfm and a stock cam if you are after economy.

On my 440 smog motor I bought/installed an Edelbrock Performer 440 intake with a rebuilt Thermoquad 850 - the combo was 150 plus shipping on eBay.. Lots of fun. Will be doing the shortie headers next. The engine could be much improved but as long as I can throw inexpensive parts at it. :-) if I went down the rebuilt engine route, better cam/heads, higher compression I would probably get the Holley Sniper EFI. That’s some money right there.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

As long as you aren't burning oil, efi should work fine. I know a hot rod shop that installs lots of efi setups, they claim the biggest mistake people make is overestimating what their engine is. If you get the base setup wrong, they never run right. I have an archaic holley projection, and other than being rich at idle, it performs great. As long as your engine is in decent shape, buy the injection.

Red383
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fort Loramie
State: OH

Post by Red383 »

I had the Fast EZ-EFI on my 383 in my 70 Cuda, and really liked it. I may try the Sniper on my 318 in my truck in the future.
1965 Dodge D200, 318 4-speed converted to 4x4 with NV4500 trans

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Conrad »

I just think for 'bang-for-buck' a carb still can't be beat. For $150 I bought an intake and a rebuilt carb. Granted, not EFI quality.

EFI is on my wish list - but I need/want to upgrade my fuel tank first with higher pressure fuel pump.

The nicest thing about EFI is that I would haven't to listen to my wife complain about fuel smell.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

Which ever way you go with the tank, put the fuel pump in it. I started out having an inline pump, if it sat for any length of time, it was a problem to get it running. Now with it in the tank, never any issues.

71Lumberwagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hastings
State: NE

Post by 71Lumberwagon »

Its a litttle pricey but im running an edelbrock AVS 2 on my 318, easy to tune, you don't dump gas all over to change jets like the holley pops, I feel its easier to match the carb to the engine, however it is a mechanical secondary some people don't like that, but I've had really good luck with it.

jackpine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Detroit
State: MI

Post by jackpine »

I have had several EFI Mopars, each in varying levels of tune/engine build. The 2 things that EFI delivers that a carb never will are: throttle response (faster faster faster) and cold start quality.

I have a mild 340 in my A100 and it blew me away the first time I took it for a ride. Very nice. It is just a basic Holley TBI setup. I reach in through the open window and turn the key starts. Doesn't matter if it is cold or warm. No "pump it twice unless it's really cold ... or, wait... did I already prime it?" Try and explain that to your wife. She would actually drive this thing.

Even my carbureted cars have pumps in the tank. Better for 100 reasons...AND fuel system is ready for eventual EFI conversion. For my 65 D100, I found a cheap, plastic fuel tank and mounted it in the frame. Running 2 Edelbrock carbs (dual quads). Someday, it will get EFI when the price comes down for 2-throttle body setup.

You will become very sensitive to exhaust leaks, because your system will be totally screwed up by it. So, the collector gasket or manifold gasket leak that you currently tolerate and overlook... with EFI of any type, it will be an issue. That leak is also sucking air. The air will tell the O2 sensor to tell the ECU to ADD FUEL. You won't like the results.

I have sidepipes on my A100 and it was tough to get that right. We originally made the side pipes too rigid and it would grind the gaskets away. Ironic that we needed to let the pipes move and shift around a little bit in order to keep the system sealed up.

Carbs are fine. I love how multi-carbs look. The last two engines I have finished up have dual quads. Not hating, just saying its more fun to drive EFI and more people in my family feel comfortable driving my cars. Times have changed for me and that is more important now.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

if I put fuel injection on my 361 I will go with this. for the same money why go with TBI when sequential is available??

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl- ... gKkGfD_BwE

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

I like what Edelbrock has done with the sequential port efi. Price isn't too bad considering that the small block kit comes with the intake and distributor. If i needed one, that would be my choice.

moparbay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rapid City
State: SD

Post by moparbay »

Kaegi wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:56 am
if I put fuel injection on my 361 I will go with this. for the same money why go with TBI when sequential is available??

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl- ... gKkGfD_BwE
Unless there have some developments, Edelbrock does not offer a sequential/tuned port FI intake for the "B" engines. They do for "RB" engine. No idea about small blocks.
moparbay

Ole "Blue" 68 D100 Adventurer
65 W100
67 D400
67 W100 (in pieces)
69 D100 converted to 4x4 (SOLD)

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

It just goes to show you that people (meaning me) don't pay close enough attention.

Does anyone else keep reading the SUBJECT line as "Holy Semper Fi"?? :thinking

I've read this also as, "Holy Sniper". :joker What's the deal with that?? :pale ... and I'm not even a Batman-Robin - Super hero fan! :lol:
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

quillc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Port Orchard
State: WA

Post by quillc »

It all depends upon what you want.

If you want cheap and simple, you can't go wrong with a carb. They've been around forever and there are some nice carbs around these days that work much better than the older stuff. If you know what you are doing (read a book or two), you can tune them very well and get excellent results.

If you want cold start capability, best fuel economy and a system that automatically adjusts to changes in elevation and weather, fuel injection is the way to go. Where EFI really shines is at part throttle.

A (healthy) fuel injected motor will always be more drivable long term than the equivalent carbureted motor. Fuel injection will NOT make more power by itself.

If you live where it is warm all the time (lets say Texas), you will likely have good results year round with a carb. If you live where it gets cold in the winter (for example Indiana), and plan on using your truck in the winter, you will have the best results with EFI.

Will a carburetor work pretty well most of the time? Absolutely. Will EFI work better pretty much all of the time? Yep.

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

I've been thinking of going with the Sniper setup myself on my 68 with a BB.....also would like to hear any feed back on the Sniper setup.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab