Dana 60 sure grip

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
zmandan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Asheville
State: NC

Dana 60 sure grip

Post by zmandan »

66 D200 crew cab with 318 poly NP435 and a Dana 60
I’ve been having some drive line vibrations around 50 mph. I checked the U joints and replaced the center support bearing - which helped some but it still has the vibration.

I decided the only way to pinpoint it would be to get it up on jack stands, start it and run through the gears. Nothing significant until I got to 4th gear. At that point, it sounded like someone put a big rock inside the diff. I checked the oil level and it was good.

So I drained the oil, pulled the cover and everything looked great - no metal in the oil and nothing seemed loose. Restarted it and same thing - when idling in 4th gear, it sounded like it was going to fly apart. Examined it a second time still looking for something loose and found nothing.

At that point, since the only thing I couldn’t see was the pinion bearings I pulled the carrier out to get a look at those. Started it and tried again... all gears smooth and quiet.

So, I took the carrier apart and I see absolutely no reason for this thing to sound so bad. Are these things just noisy by nature, or am I missing something? :banghead

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Re: Dana 60 sure grip

Post by powerwagon54 »

driveline out of time

zmandan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Asheville
State: NC

Re: Dana 60 sure grip

Post by zmandan »

That is a possibility for the vibration, but now I am more concerned about the diff noise!

Anyone?