Poly 318 Hydraulic Cam/Lifters

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Cwimer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Redlands
State: CA

Poly 318 Hydraulic Cam/Lifters

Post by Cwimer »

Hi Everyone,

After searching on-line for hours, I need help. I have had my 1966 W200 for about 8 months. I have been slowing upgrading lots of components to get it running and driving better. However, the motor has had an annoying valve tick since I bought it. I pulled the valve covers intending to adjust the valves and I was surprised to find my motor has non-adjustable lifters and a hydraulic cam. The No. 2 exhaust rocker has about .045 clearance. I assume the lifter is stuck and not filling with oil. I want to move the rocker to the side and remove the push rod and lifter - but there is no adjuster to back off to allow me to do that. If this were a solid lift cam, it would be easy. Because all of the rockers are on a common shaft (some under tension, some not) I do not know what to do. And I have not found any information online on how to accomplish this. Do I have to pull the head in order to slide the rocker shaft out of the head? What am I missing?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Attachments
IMG_0257.JPG

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Poly 318 Hydraulic Cam/Lifters

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I have pulled the rocker shaft out of the heads with the head on the engine. Do have to remove the radiator to get enough forward movement to do it. Does a lifter fit thru the head to get it out? Ive never had to do that one before. Ive also never seen poly rockers that weren't adjustable.
With hydraulic lifters can you compress them to get the oil out, then try your sideways movement trick?

Cwimer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cwimer »

Here is a picture of the rockers for reference.
Attachments
IMG_0258.JPG

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Is the engine a 318-3 premium engine?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The pic answers the question. U must pull the manifold off to remove the lifter. U could swap on an adjustable rocker and leave the lifter as is.

Cwimer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cwimer »

I have removed the manifold. There is not sufficient clearance between the rocker and the push rod to allow the push rod to be removed. With an adjustable rocker, you can back off the adjuster until the push rod can be removed (by sliding the rocker to the side and pulling the pushrod out of the lifter.). I far as I can tell, I cannot get the lifter out of the bore without removing the push rod. With no adjuster to back off, how do I increase the clearance between the push rod and rocker without pulling the head?

Cwimer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cwimer »

I have not heard of a "318-3 Premium" engine. Is the anything one the block casting or data tag that would identify the specific type of engine it is?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

U can leave the head on and pull the rocker shaft, but u will have to rotate the engine to release spring pressure as each rocker comes off the shaft, otherwise it will fly across the shop or into your face.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Cwimer wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 am
I have not heard of a "318-3 Premium" engine. Is the anything one the block casting or data tag that would identify the specific type of engine it is?
There probably is but I haven't looked into it. https://imageevent.com/dad2nick/dodge3183premiumpoly

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

did you try running some atf or marvel mystery oil with your oil for a while and see if it fixes it? might just be a stuck lifter from sitting too long.

Cwimer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cwimer »

I have found very little information on-line (or from my usual "go to" sources) about the 318-3 "Premium" engine, but I'm pretty sure that is what I have. I have ordered a factory service manual to see what it has to say about the pushrods, lifters, etc. on a hydraulic cam motor. My plan right now is to pull the intake manifold to confirm whether the lifter has collapsed or whether the Number 2 exhaust cam lobe has failed. I will post an update when I have more information. Thank you for everyone who responded to my plea for help.

Cwimer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cwimer »

UPDATE - According to the factory service manual received today, a special tool exists for compressing the valve spring and allowing the rocker to slide laterally on the shaft. This allows the pushrods to be pulled up and out of the lifter. The lifter can then be pulled out of the bore with the intake off. Here is the tool (below.) Ii is called a "Tool C-3695." I can probably make something that would work with some trial and error but a factory tool would be great if anyone has an idea of where I can find one. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Attachments
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG (41.26 KiB) Viewed 3118 times

Cwimer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cwimer »

UPDATE - I promised to provide an update once I figured this problem out. After getting a factory service manual, I saw the tool used to remove the pushrods on my Poly 318-3 hydraulic cam motor. Not finding a source for the tool, My friend Jim and I made one. Today I pulled the intake off and saw the cam looks fine (!). Using the tool, I compressed the valve spring and removed the pushrod. After removing the lifter, I discovered it was frozen. I took the lifter apart and cleaned all the lifter parts thoroughly. After re-assembling the lifter, I soaked it in a cup of oil and made sure the cup would compress and rise as intended. I put the lifter back in, using generous amounts of moly lube and reinstalled the pushrod using the tool. I reassemble the motor and it started right up. Good news - most (but not all) of the valve noise is gone! If anyone is having a similar problem, I would be happy to provide additional information.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Way to go! :Thumbsup

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

good news! maybe throw a quart of ATF or marvel mystery oil in it and run it that way till next oil change. should free up any other sticky lifters

hmaynord
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: fairhope
State: AL

Post by hmaynord »

makin' your own tools :salut
y'all who know what you're doing are impressive
harris
late 65 (titled as 66) D100 SWB 225-1, 3 speed, 3.91
driving it since 12/03/71