New Fuel Sender Float

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
LuckyBaldwin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stockton
State: CA

New Fuel Sender Float

Post by LuckyBaldwin »

My brass float is sitting on the bottom of the tank. I tried to fix it but it's too far gone. I found a plastic float made by OMIX-ADA p/n: 17729.01. Says it's made for old jeeps. Does anyone know if it fits in a mopar sender arm? If not, does anyone know where I can get a plastic one that fits?

I see Year One sells brass floats that should work (p/n: RSP 11), but I'd rather have a plastic one that isn't affected by ethanol gas.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: New Fuel Sender Float

Post by dodgeboykim »

You could make any float fit and work. :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

LuckyBaldwin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LuckyBaldwin »

True, but plug and play would be my first choice. Took me awhile to get the rheostat working good again, so I don't want to monkey with the arm any more than is absolutely neccessary.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

It's been oveer a year since I bought mine but I bought an exact replacement from the Ford dealership. The mustangs used the same brass float. Even from a dealer it was only like 10 or 12 dollars and they had it in stock.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

LuckyBaldwin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LuckyBaldwin »

Thanks MadMC63. Mustangs! Now that's a great idea.
I've discovered that the Dodge "B" series vans used this same float up till '87. In '88 they went FI and the pickup/ sender changed.

LuckyBaldwin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LuckyBaldwin »

I found a parts store in Tucson called Willy's Works. Is like an old time parts store where they have all the parts on the shelf and the parts guy knows more about them than I do. With the minimum wage kid at O'Rielly's that's never the case! He had a box of different floats for old jeeps, including the plastic Omix one. The groove was about 0.100" smaller diameter than the original float, but would probably work. He had another float made by Stewart Warner (p/n: 836092).

http://www.stewartwarner.com/product/fu ... pn-836092/

This is a bronze and plastic float covering a foam core. So even if it gets a pinhole in it, it won't sink. Plus it's the exact same size as our floats. I went with the Stewart Warner float and my fuel gauge works good now. First time in a decade, lol.