intake/exhaust manifold

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

intake/exhaust manifold

Post by fireguyfire »

Ive just about got my slant 6 engine back together on my 1970 d100 restoration project, and today I pulled out the intake/exhaust manifolds and started cleaning all of the soot and grime off of them. i ran them through the parts washer, and I am thinking of sand blasting them to make them look fresh again when the get bolted back up to the freshly painted turquoise slant 6.
What do you guys generally do to freshen up your manifolds? Do you sand blast them?
I noticed there is a fair amount of turquoise paint from the factory on the intake manifold; is this normal?
I also have seen special manifold paint from Eastwood that keeps the manifolds looking freshly cast but I cant imagine the paint would last well on the exhaust manifold.
Any tips or suggestions would be welcome!

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: intake/exhaust manifold

Post by MadMC63 »

Some type of media blasting will have to be employed on the exhaust manifold its about the only way to truely get it clean and while your there might as well do the intake also. As far as the finish lasting you'll have to coat it with something or it will look terrible in a couple of months.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

I'm kind of surprised no one else commented on this. Eastwood has some very good products. I have used the high temp manifold spray coating with great success and also the hand applied cream. The cream I used on manifolds and the spray I used on headers. Never having owned a six but being fully aware of how close the intake and exhaust are at the head I would recommend a high temp coating for it as well. Engine paint will probably burn off quickly in that area. Engine paints are typically good to around 500 degrees while high temps are rated somewhere in the neighborhood of 1300 degrees.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I have used high heat VHT high heat exhaust paint with good results. Sand Blast exhaust manifold to remove rust,scale etc. Bake them to vaporize residue. Paint them using a few coats, Allowing to tack up between coats. Then bake them again to set. Manifolds on my 66 were done that way in 2002 and still look pretty good. :clap :clap :clap
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

sledgehammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: puyallup,wa

Post by sledgehammer »

I cleaned my slant6 manifolds with a wire wheel on my drill. Sprayed intake with Duplicolor engine paint and exhaust with barbecue paint (flat black). Washed with Dawn dish soap and water. Only did this a couple months ago but so far so good on the exhaust manifold. I've done a couple intakes with this brand of paint and always held up nicely. First time I've ever tried painting an exhaust manifold.